'Look at that, Cyp! Look!' Y/n gasped in shock, 'Are you seeing this?' She gripped onto his arm firmly, her fingernails digging into his skin, lightly stinging him, but he couldn't be bothered. 

'Yeah,' he nodded, his light brown face filled with shock. 

The front three rows of students drew backward as the carriage hurtled ever lower, coming in to land at a tremendous speed — and then, with an almighty crash that made Fred jump backward onto Y/n's foot, the horses' hooves, larger than dinner plates, hit the ground. A second later, the carriage landed too, bouncing upon its vast wheels, while the golden horses tossed their enormous heads and rolled large, fiery red eyes. 

'OW!' Y/n winced. 'Watch what you're doing, carrottop!'

Fred turned around with a sheepish smile. 'Sorry,' he grinned. 

'Sorry, my ass!' She shoved him forward again with a light force. 

'Woah,' Fred laughed, 'Careful there, Y/n.'

'For the last time, it's Tonks for you, Weasley,' and then she turned back to the crowd where a boy in pale blue robes jumped down from the carriage, bent forward, fumbled for a moment with something on the carriage floor, and unfolded a set of golden steps. He sprang back respectfully. 

Y/n turned to Esmeralda, 'If the booys in here would look like that, perhaps school wouldn't be that bad.'

Esmeralda grinned, 'That's what I was thinking.'

'Hmm, what about your new boyfriend, ey?' The h/c girl nudged her best friend lightly.

'I'm allowed to look at boys, Y/n/n,'  Esmeralda rolled her eyes, fluffing up her poofy hair, 'just not do anything with them.'

Then everyone saw a shining, high-heeld black shoe emerging from the inside of the carriage — a shoe the size of a child's sled — followed, almost immediately, by the largest woman they had ever seen in their life. The size of the carriage, and of the horses, was immediately explained. A few people gasped including Y/n. 

'Salazar, and I thought Hagrid was big,' she murmured to Cyprian, leaning into his side. 

'My thought exactly.'

But this woman (now at the foot of the steps, and looking around at the waiting, wide-eyed crowd) seemed even more unnaturally large. As she stepped into the light flooding from the entrance hall, she was reavealed to have a handsome, olive-skinned face; large, black, liquid-looking eyes; and a rather beaky nose. Her hair was drawn back in a shining knob at the base of her neck. She was dressed from head to foot in black satin, and many magnificent opals gleamed at her throat and on her thick fingers.

Dumbledore started to clap; the students, following his lead, broke into aupplause too, many of them standing on tiptoe, the better to look at this woman. 

Her face relaxed into a gracious smile and she walked forward toward Dumbledore, extending a glittering hand. Dumbledore, though tall himself, had barely to bend to kiss it.

'My dear Madame Maxime,' Dumbledore said, 'Welcome to Hogwarts.'

'Dumbly-dorr,' said Madame Maxime in a deep voice. 'I 'ope I find you well?'

'In excellent form, I thank you,' said Dumbledore. 

'This is not what I had expected from Beauxbatons,' Y/n whispered, standing on her tip-toes to look over Fred Weasley. 'Weaslebee, I can't see over your stupid head.'

'Naww, so you have to stare at my face instead, ey?' he teased, not turning his head; he himself was very focused on the scene in front of him. 

She scoffed, glancing at Cyprian who was glaring down on the tall ginger boy.