| Chapter Forty-six | Research

Start from the beginning

Would I show it to Rika before I send it off? Should I? If by some chance I was incorrect, it would only hurt her. No. I would send it off without telling her for now. If I recieve a positive response, then I would talk to her. Until then, all I had to do was wait.

Rika watched as I walked past the dining room, and went out to the porch. I sat there, and pulled the letter from my sleeve.

"Kaname?" I called.

He flew down and landed on my shoulder. I held up the letter, and before I passed it to Kaname, I spoke.

"This is very important. Do not lose this Kaname. I need you to take this to Shinazugawa. It must be responded to." I said.

Kaname nodded and I held the letter up for him to grab. He took it in his beak and flew off with it. I hoped what my instinct was telling me was correct. I needed it to be.

I watched as he disappeared into the sky, and went back into the house and sat down. Shinazugawa was the right Hashira to recieve that letter, I was sure of it.

I smiled at Rika as I looked at the plate of rice balls. There were now eight sitting there. I picked one up and ate it.

Rika yawned, and she sat there, nearly falling asleep. I smiled at the adorable sight before me.

"Are you ready for bed, Rika?" I asked.

She nodded, and my smile grew at her cute face. I stood and held my arms out to her. She grabbed them and pulled herself up, and I walked with her to the bed. She laid down and tried to pull me to lie beside her. I shook my head and stepped back.

"Sorry, my love. I have to take care of some things. While I don't have patrol tonight, there is still something I need to do." I said.

She nodded and laid her head down, closed her eyes, and I watched as she quickly fell asleep.

"Have a good sleep, my love." I whispered.

I leaned forward and kissed her forehead then turned and left the room. I sensed somebody approaching the yard, and I went out to the porch.

Shinazugawa came into the yard. I was surprised that he was so close to the city already, and he had made it here quickly.

"I take it you recieved my letter?" I said.

"Yeah, what was up with that?" He asked.

I jumped from the porch and stepped forward. He stopped, and he stood there, just staring at me.

"I needed an answer, and I thought you were the right one to ask." I said.

"My answer is yes." He said.

My eyes widened. So, I was right. I looked at the house, where Rika was asleep, I might have something to tell her after all.

"Tell me more." I said.

Shinazugawa narrowed his eyes at me, then walked to the edge of the yard.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because, I need to know. For Rika's sake."

"For Rika? What does this have to do with Rika?" He asked.

"I can explain better if you tell me what you know." I said.

"Alright. But why ask me?"

"Your patrol area." I said.

Shinazugawa sighed and turned back to me.