chapter two | 404

Magsimula sa umpisa

I was about to head out the door when I realized that it was getting dark outside and I was wearing a dress. As much as I hated to conform with the shittiness of the world, I had no choice but to change into jeans and a shirt. 

After putting on my denim jacket and pepper spray, I reached for the door. However, when I opened it, I was surprised to find a brown paper bag on the floor. Mayroong nakasulat sa harapan nito. From 404.

Hindi ko napigilang sumimangot. 404? Like the error chuchu?

Binuksan ko ang paper bag at nakita ang mga pagkain at inumin sa loob. Awtomatiko akong naglakad patungo sa basurahan at walang paligoy-ligoy itong itinapon.

There's no way I'm accepting food from some stranger. 

***

While inside the elevator, I couldn't help but worry with every floor I reach. Sa isip ko, nagdadasal akong wala sanang ibang sumakay, kaya naman labis ang ginhawang naramdaman ko nang mag-isa pa rin ako hanggang sa pagdating ko sa lobby.

"Ms. Gustavo?"

Napalingon ako nang biglang may tumawag sa akin. Dumako ang tingin ko sa mahabang sofa at nakita ang pagtayo ng isang matandang babaeng may maikling buhok at makapal na salamin. Her bag and gold jewelry gave me the impression that she's pretty well-off.

All of a sudden, my guards were up. Do I have to fight an old person again?

"Good evening po." Despite my discomfort, I smiled and walked toward her, bowing a little. 

The woman smiled from ear to ear and suddenly grabbed ahold of my hand, freaking me out to hell and back. 

Wawakliin ko sana ang kamay niya, pero nagulat ako nang mapansing namumula at nanunubig ang kanyang mga mata. 

I looked around, ready to defend myself in case I get accused of making an old rich woman cry.

"Hija, ako si Ms. Shirley," she said, patting her chest gently. However, from the way she spoke, it didn't sound like she was introducing herself. Rather, it was like she was reminding me of who she was.

I flashed my fakest polite smile and nodded. Okay, crazy old lady.

Napakurap-kurap siya at agad akong binitiwan. She must've realized how weird she acted. She then laughed, wiping the tears under her glasses. "P-Pasensya ka na."

Tumango ako ulit. "No worries, Ma'am."

Bumuntonghininga siya nang malakas at tumawang muli. "Siya nga pala, ako ang may-ari ng building. Kung may problema man, please, don't hesitate to call."

My brain instantly went cha-ching

Puwedeng-puwede na siyang umiyak sa harapan ko! She can even lean on me if she wants!

The woman fetched out a business card from her bag, which I wholeheartedly and politely accepted. 

"Nga pala, saan ka pupunta? Gabi na, a?" aniya.

"Just going to look around po . .  find a place to eat or maybe hang out?" I shrugged, quite unsure of my own mind.

"Mahilig ka ba sa mga pelikula?" Ms. Shirley's eyes turned into slits.

I nodded in a heartbeat and grinned. "Obsessed!"

My Mama says I'm addicted to tv shows and movies. Mula pagkabata, mas gusto kong manood ng TV o pelikula kaysa makipaglaro sa iba. I even used to skip school just to stay in my room and watch stuff. Looking back, I guess I was just an introverted kid who loves visual entertainment.