4.8| the goblet of fire

Start from the beginning

The flames inside the goblet turned suddenly red again. Sparks began to fly from it. Next moment, a tongue of flame shot into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it — the whole room gasped. Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm’s length, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue-white. With each passing second, Alex's heartbeat got faster and faster, until it seemed like her heart would jump out of her chest.

“The champion for Durmstrang” he read, in a strong, clear voice, “will be Viktor Krum"

“No surprises there!” yelled Ron as a storm of applause and cheering swept the Hall Viktor Krum rose from the Slytherin table and slouched up toward Dumbledore; he turned right, walked along the staff table, and disappeared through the door into the next chamber.

“Bravo, Viktor!” boomed Karkaroff, so loudly that everyone could hear him, even over all the applause. “Knew you had it in you!" The clapping and chatting died down. Now everyone’s attention was focused again on the goblet, which, seconds later, turned red once more. A second piece of parchment shot out of it, propelled by the flames.

“The champion for Beauxbatons" said Dumbledore, “is Fleur Delacour!”

“It’s her, Ron!” Alex exclaimed as the girl who so resembled a veela got gracefully to her feet, shook back her sheet of silvery blonde hair, and swept up between the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables.

“Oh look, they’re all disappointed” Hermione said over the noise, nodding toward the remainder of the Beauxbatons party.

Disappointed” was a bit of an understatement, Two of the girls who had not been selected had dissolved into tears and were sobbing with their heads on their arms. When Fleur Delacour too had vanished into the side chamber, silence fell again, but this time it was a silence so stiff with excitement you could almost taste it. The Hogwarts champion next.

And the Goblet of Fire turned red once more; sparks showered out of it; the tongue of flame shot high into the air, and from its tip Dumbledore pulled the third piece of parchment.

“The Hogwarts champion” he called, “is Cedric Diggory!”

“No!” said Ron loudly, as Alex began to clap loudly. Every single Hufflepuff had jumped to their feet, screaming and stamping, as Cedric made his way past them, grinning broadly, and headed off toward the chamber behind the teachers’ table. Indeed, the applause for Cedric went on so long that it was some time before Dumbledore could make himself heard again.

“Excellent!” Dumbledore called happily as at last the tumult died down. “Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real —”

But Dumbledore suddenly stopped speaking, and it was apparent to everybody what had distracted him. The fire in the goblet had just turned red again. Sparks were flying out of it. A long flame shot suddenly into the air, and borne upon it was another piece of parchment. Automatically, it seemed, Dumbledore reached out a long hand and seized the parchment. He held it out and stared at the name written upon it. Alex felt as if she was going to throw up, she clutched into Harry's arm tightly out of nowhere, which shocked the raven haired boy way more than the goblet turning red again.

"Harry Potter"

Alex looked at him, wide eyed, squeezing his hand tightly. For a moment he didn't move, at all. Until Hermione had to push him out of his seat, breaking the right grasp of Harry and Alex's hand. Just as he got up, the goblet turned red again. And if people's reactions before were overwhelming, this time there was a very audible gasp from every single person. Alex felt dizzy, as she watched another parchment flew out into the air. And just as swiftly as it was shot out into the air, it was caught by Dumbledore. There was a long pause, during which Dumbledore stared at the slip in his hands, and everyone in the room stared at Dumbledore. And then Dumbledore cleared his throat and read out— "Alexandria Black"