Chapter 26: Dark Horse

??? POV:

He seemed plain.

No. He's a genius, that's for sure, but that's just among his peers, he's nowhere near the level of him.

But that doesn't make sense, the last time I saw that boy he was on on the same level, maybe just below him.

What's more, he disappears for three years, then pops up out of nowhere? He was presumed dead.

I didn't believe the news at first when she came to tell me it, but there was no doubt about it.

The boy from back then was Tensai Shizukana, the same Tensai Shizukana.

But after spending so long watching him, there's nothing really noteworthy, he's yet to do anything.

Don't tell me he's doing the same thing as him?

How strange, well, I've come all this way to see how he puts on a show, if he does well, I'll use it as an excuse to have a chat with him.

If that kid's father figures out that Shizukana is still alive, things will get troublesome.

The best deduction that I've been able to make so far is Amnesia.

He doesn't remember his past, or the important parts anyways, otherwise he would've recognized him on the spot, and not just him, but my daughter as well.

I leaned back in my chair, looking up at the ceiling.

I wonder...

Have you grown much?

What are your current limits?

We will see.

...

Shizukana POV:

I picked up the bow, and looked out across the field.

The first round looked like it was fairly simple, but it's still probably a good idea to wait and listen to the rules.

"Alright! Welcome everyone! The rules of the first round are simple. In front of you is an obstacle course, you'll have five minutes to go through the course and make it to a total of ten different spots to shoot at a target. The max amount of points you can get is 200, and once the time runs out you can't get anymore points! Now then, you all should have 20 arrows. That's all, shoot straight!"

I see.

It makes sense though, why this building is as large as it is.

I fixed my quiver, and held my bow in a tight grip.

If I had to guess, this whole course was around 200 metres long, with different obstacles all around.

In other words, in a competition like this, they don't want to just see us shoot straight, they want to see how we shoot straight in a pressured situation.

Useful.

"Everybody ready!? We'll begin in 3... 2... 1... GO!"

I quickly ran off.

Above me and to the left, I noticed a spot that had a bright white beacon at it.

That must be what the spots look like.

I fixed my bow around my shoulder as I quickly ran, jumping up onto an obstacle to get a bigger jump up towards the platform.

I barely managed to grab onto the ledge, and quickly pulled myself up, after that it was a simple ten foot jump to the next platform.

I slipped my bow off my shoulder, and searched for the target.

"There you are."

I took out one of my arrows, shooting it at the target, which was pinned directly above me.