Chapter 10- Threat Time

Start from the beginning

"In the past, I used to think that way," I said. Chiba and Okajima stopped their assassination attempt. Uncomfortable faces shifted around the Class E students.

"Now that I think about, Katsumi-san seems to know Asano-kun well," Nagisa thought out loud. Karma heard him and intervened again.

"She told me he was a friend," Karma said with slight aggression in his voice.

"You saw me as a friend?" Asano asked, amused.

"Times up!" I said, changing the subject. "Asano 9 points, Karma 6 points."

"Yeah, whatever," Karma said. You don't care?! "Clearly, his surprised that you consider him a friend. So I'll ask again. What was your relationship with him?" His intent gaze trapped me in place. Asano looked at Karma, with a cocky glint in his eyes.

"Didn't she tell you?" he asked. "We-."

"A boring relationship," I cut in dryly. "I told you that already." Karma looked at me doubtfully and Asano crossed his arms.

"That's what you told him?" Asano asked. "I think a 'business relationship' suits us better," he jested.

"Shut up," I said.

"If I remember correctly Katsu, you asked me to join you for world domination," Asano stated. Everyone stared with their jaws barely hanging on, unsure whether to laugh or not. I couldn't force myself to lift my head up as it started to turn red. "So if anything, business relationship makes the most sense here."

"Heh~ and just how are you going to take over the world?" Karma doubted. Asano looked at me, encouraging me to explain. I rubbed my forehead, tiredly.

"Well... Since this world is run by humans, you could change the way people think based on the education they receive and the media they perceive. I would control the media that people watch with my reviews, gaining people's trust in my decisions and eventually have them agree and watch things that give them an insight to my perspective. Asano-kun would manipulate education and have children grow up with the ideals and teachings that will cause society to be shaped to however he wants. Also, with his inevitable high position, Asano-kun would control some very powerful people. We would be the ultimate pair that could have the world at our fingertips by just using our natural talent," I explained. Karma gave me a skeptical look. "It was just a thought that I had." I shrugged. "Something like a little boy wanting to become a superhero or a little girl wanting to become a princess... Except my idea had some potential."

"You actually think that would work?" he asked.

"Children are our future," I said. "Propaganda leaves people with a certain impression."

Asano then cuts in, "Not only that, but the board chairman heard her say all this and decided that it would be nice if this partnership was settled officially... With something like marriage."

"MARRIAGE?!!!" the students screamed.

"Told you it was a boring relationship," I commented. One of the most cliched things in a romance is that either they're betrothed or childhood friends. Karma stayed silent, but had a slight hurt look on his face, as if he was deceived. Immediately, I stepped towards him and tugged on his sleeve. "Come on, you know I hate cliches. There was some talk, but nothing's settled in stone," I assured. Karma stayed silent, but a small forced smile casually appeared on his face. My eyes widened as a sudden feeling of distress shadowed over me. I gripped his sleeve tighter. "Say something," I demanded under my breath. He looked up me a bit surprised.

Asano noticed the situation. With an indifferent tone, "Well, to be more precise, Katsu was the one who proposed to me." I gave him a look.

"We were kids," I justified. This time he gave me a look.

"It was two years ago."

"I was kidding!"

"About?" he questioned. My head bobbed side to side as I rolled my eyes.

"... Marriage," I mumbled. Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Karma leaned his face close to mine and whispered in my ear.

"Instead of ruling the world with him, why don't you save the world with me?" he suggested. "After we become known as heroes, we can do whatever we want." Karma flashed a smirk at Asano, while I stood stiff with nervousness. Though, I was actually considering his offer. Asano seemed bothered by this.

"What's the next round?" Asano asked impatiently. I moved apart from Karma and regained my composure.

"Threat," I answered. "Give your opponent your best threat. This always happens in the shoujo mangas I've read. Whenever there is a love triangle, the rivals give each others threats to tell the other to back off," I elaborated.

"But this isn't a love triangle," they both thought. Asano decided to go first. They stood in front of each other, brimming with confidence and hostility.

"I don't love Katsu," Asano declared.

"That's the worst way to start out a threat!" Kayano yelled in protest.

"I agree," Hayami said.

"Which is precisely why she should chose me," he concluded. Asano gave me a smug look. "If she is the filial daughter, she will continue her education at Kunugigaoka junior high school as a Class A student to repay her parents' trust and effort. After all, it's the least she could do... And probably the last." He said that last part quietly, so only Karma and I could hear it. I scowled at him, trying to appear angry rather than vulnerable. Asano smiled and faced Karma. "Also, being with someone like you will just drag her down and away from a successful path. While I, on the other hand will give her something that lasts longer than some simple maiden-in-love infatuation." He moved in closer, his smirk getting that much cockier. "If we really were going to dominate the world, you would just be our stepping stone. That goes for marriage as well. Your exisitance has no affect on the inevitable. Katsumi will chose me. Whether she likes you or not." Asano's face grew darker and more stoic. "But if you're a nuisance, then it's simple." He leaned in closer and said in a low voice, "I'll just get rid of you."

Karma kept his stiff smile glued to his face. The ends of his fingers curled into a fist and he closed his eyes for a second, letting the words settle in. Asano stepped back, waiting as if his willing to entertain a defeated foe for a few minutes. Once his eyes flashed open with an amused glare, Karma threatened, "Go ahead and keep offering all you can to her." He stepped forward slowly and confidently. "However, big words won't scare me." His tone grew darker and deeper, causing chills to drift around the room, stifling the air. "I'm prepared to get some blood on my hands. What about you?" Karma stuck his tongue out, taunting Asano. "Get rid of me? Go ahead and try it." His gold eyes flashed with blood lust. "You'll be the one lying dead first."

Even though it was just a round for the contest, their resolve was far from just a game. Their determination made it seem like a bloody battle. I'm the MC. However, right now I feel like I'm Helen of Troy. The one who started the war. I gulped back my fright and declared with small voice, "Asano-kun 9 points... Karma 10 points." 

A/N- MC as in "A Master of Ceremonies (also used in its abbreviated forms MC or emcee) or compère is the official host of a staged event or similar performance. An MC usually presents performers, speaks to the audience, entertains people, and generally keeps the event moving." just in case people didn't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯