Suddenly, I think of something: "Rostov!"

Malik corrects me: "Mannerly, I would prefer it if you don't swear."

"Rostov isn't a swear word. It's an educated way to express surprise or other strong emotions without using words that might be holy to others, but it's also the name of my friend. We met a few months ago when I was on a mission in Geneva. He might help us out."

During that mission, I gave Rostov one of my spare mobile phones, the one with the #555 speed-dial number.

I take my spiPhone and send him a message: «Rostov. It's me, #5, The Runner. Do you still use this phone? Are you awake?»

Almost immediately, a reassuring beep indicates an incoming answer: «Hi, Lux. Yes, I use this phone every day to send a message to Katja, asking her if she wants to marry me. She hasn't said «yes» yet, but every day I'm getting closer to the day she will.»

Katja is #4, The Agent of the LSD. Rostov has a crush on her, but I fear she'll answer his death wish sooner than his proposal.

«I'm in trouble. I need your help. The LSD are after me. Can you send a message to #2, The Nerd, and ask him which side he's on: mine or his employer's?»

One beep later I get the reply: «He's on your side as long as you don't contact him. You're hot. He has orders to monitor you and all the traffic of relative info about your mission on the island. Which island is that?»

This is useful information. Imagine we'd visited the cyber café and searched for Hurricane Mike. If he's indeed connected with Khalid, it would alarm the LSD and all the other authorities and they'd arrest us in hardly any time. Avoiding similar search commands on the browser of my now anonymous spiPhone is also a safe idea. It will make us deaf, dumb and blind for a while, but we'll still have our taste, our smell, and our tact.

Secretly, I admire Khalid. This is exactly why he can't be found: he's careful. Last month, there was news about the authorities in a certain country who cracked the encrypted message system at www.uglycriminalbastards.com, which gave them access to thousands of messages with enough proof to arrest and convict hundreds of criminals. Khalid doesn't trust anyone, not even the Internet. That's why he's still out there. We should follow his example.

I reply to Rostov: «I'm on Malta. Long story. Please, ask #2 to send you a social report about Hurricane Mike. I'm after Mike's former boss, Khalid El Bullít.»

This time, it takes almost fifteen minutes before the answer arrives, but it's worth waiting for: Rostov didn't only send the social report I requested (presenting Mike as a respected businessman), he also did some private investigations himself.

«According to his MaskBook account, you can contact Hurricane Mike at his temporary residence, room 501 at the Sing Sing in Valletta, Malta. Visiting hours: daily from 10:00 AM until 12:00 AM».

I ask Malik: "What's the Sing Sing? Is it a hotel with a karaoke bar?"

Malik shakes his head: "Wrongdoingly, it's how the local criminals call Valletta's prison. Its official name is Rubin Carter Correctional Facility. Why? Do you want to sleep there tonight?"

It's not a bad idea. The United Secret Services will probably have stake-outs at the airport, at every bus station and even the smallest hotel, but nobody, looking for criminals, would think of checking the local jail.

"A friend of Khalid stays there. We'll pay him a visit. He might have some interesting information for us. Did you ever act in a play or a film? Can you speak with a high, female voice? Can you make anyone believe you're an old mother who wants to visit her dearly beloved son?"

The Maltese Manuscript (LSD, #6)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें