the crusty-musty, sort-of-smart sorting hat

Start from the beginning

when i got out, the fresh air i was expecting was tainted with the smell of sulfur. i cringed and thankfully was pushed away from the shimmering body of water that expelled the stench by the twins. 

we pulled up to a series of carriages, pulled by strange horses with wings. i had thought i read about them being invisible, but i might've been wrong. the creepy horses pounded their feet into the dirt, getting impatient waiting.

"the carriages are pulled by thestrals," lee explained, pointing at the horses. "they can only be seen by people that have witnessed a death of some sorts. learned it in care of magical creatures. scary fellas, they are."

i stopped, frightened by this knowledge. i had never witnessed death in my entire life, in this world and the last. though my mother had died giving birth, i certainly did not remember if i had seen her die or not, and i didn't see my dad's suicide either, thankfully.

"well, are you getting on or not?" a twin's teasing voice snapped me out of my thinking. they were already in the carriage, all seated and ready save for fred, who was crouching at the entrance of the carriage, holding his hand out to help me up. i gladly took it, and heaved myself onto the carriage. as soon as i plopped down on the seat next to fred, the carriage began to speed toward the school.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

eventually, i ended up in front of the castle that i had once read much about, only able to imagine it or see it in the movies. the entrance doors opened, and out came dumbledore himself. the students seemed surprised by this, expecting him to say something, but he just waved them past him joyfully. 

i was expecting the same thing when i began to approach the headmaster, but he called out my name. the steady current of students heading to the great hall seemed to pause as he gestured for me to come over. i looked to my friends in confusion, but they just shrugged at me with equally confused faces. i watched as lee mouthed 'good luck' to me before i scurried over to dumbledore, weaving through the now moving stream of students.

"miss l/n, follow me please." dumbledore smiled at me kindly, but my heart still pounded in my chest with nerves. had i done something wrong? was i actually not supposed to be here? did my parents not pay or something?

he led me inside the castle and stopped just outside the great hall. the old man chuckled, presumably at my expression. "there's no need to be nervous. you're not in trouble." did he read my mind? i looked down sheepishly, chuckling nervously despite his assurance. i fidgeted with the side of my robe. 

"well, i guess i can't stop you from being nervous," he said with a hearty laugh. "i just wanted to warn you of something beforehand. unfortunately, we'll have to sort you into your house before the first years, and yes, i do mean in the front of the entire school. you are an exception, as we normally don't accept many transfers, but, the more the merrier." he laughed again, like a wizardly santa clause, except wearing gray robes and a different hat.

"and i have to do this? in front of the entire school?" i asked, mortified at the idea. everyone would know who i was then, everyone would see the weird new kid who suddenly transferred in her sixth year. dumbledore nodded, confirming my fears.

"unfortunately. i'm really, very sorry about this inconvenience. for now, you'll have to stand next to the teachers and the first-years will come and stand behind you. the hat will say a few words, and then professor mcgonagall will announce you, you'll get sorted, watch the others get sorted as well, and then enjoy the feast." dumbledore paused, pursing his thin lips. he examined my reaction, no doubt finding signs of my utter horrification at his news. "well, better get inside then." he gestured for me to follow him, and with no choice i did. we went through a side door, behind the teacher's table, and to the other side, where he told me to wait.

so i waited, numbly, anxiously anticipating my sorting. the hall roared with voices, stars and candles twinkling over my head, but i couldn't even take the time to appreciate the beauty of it due to the rush of nerves i got from having to be sorted. 

i tapped my foot, flattened my skirt, flattened my blouse, flattened my robe, and adjusted my collar. i soon heard the pounding of footsteps behind me, and the large room turned silent. professor mcgonagall spared me a glance before she headed up to the podium. my legs began to tremble slightly from the nerves as the famous battered-down hat started to sing a long and tedious song. a tap that neared my shoulder had me spinning around.

"pardon me, but i'm supposed to be in the front. my last name is aamos, which makes me the first." a tiny first-year huffed from behind me, all snotty and arrogant. i was about ready to punt him into the sun when my name was called, my last name, and then my first. the little booger's eyes got wide, and he let out a little "that's not fairrrrrrrr" while i full on panicked internally.

i heard the whispers from the tables as i trudged up to the wooden stool and laid my eyes on the musty hat. i gently sat on the creaky stool and faced a sea of segregated colors in my view. i bounced my knee nervously, trying to focus on anything else other than my sorting.

i met eyes with the twins on the gryfindor table and they smiled at me, giving me a thumbs up. i tried to subtly smile back in thanks. it was almost able to distract me from the gentle feel of the crusty hat i had seen earlier being placed on my head.

"i'm smarter than i look," the hat's voice echoed in my mind, paired with some laughter. "wow, not even from this world, are you? quite the achievement, being able to fool everyone you've met... so far." i almost flinched visibly at the sound of that. how had it known? my heart pounded in my chest. "hmm, past that now, let's look at your traits. oh, this is too easy. you're very simple you know that? i thought a girl like you would be quite complex and hard to decipher, but it's easy to see you're in..." god, this scary article of clothing really liked to be dramatic. i didn't care, obviously.

but it did kind of keep me on edge.

just a little bit.

again, shitty ending. this chapter wasn't all that bad tho!! keep in mind, i wrote these in like late 2022/early 2023 and the bold is me after editing. i didn't edit the first one tho, so um idk if that ones good or not. like always, thanks so much for reading and i love you guys so much <3 see you next weds!!

7/5 me double posting knowing i have only around 3 more prewritten chapters left: