Never Too Much

After rehab and graduating, Eddie decides to take a "break".

He gets a job at a garage not far from his new home. It's something he enjoys doing, and even though it is desperately hard work and takes its toll on his body, it's a space for Eddie to feel competent.

There are two issues with the garage.

Firstly, he has to have a work persona. It's not difficult, just like at school. Be a little tougher, pretend not to hear jokes he doesn't find funny, and do not tell anyone about his boyfriend, Steve. He's his roommate, and he has a fake college girlfriend to fill in anytime he wants to talk about Steve romantically.

Secondly was the music during opening hours or when he wasn't working alone. He had invested in a Walkman and headphones, but after the third one got crushed, he gave up. Eddie frequently tried to get one of his preferred bands in the tape deck or even an alternative radio station because metal was taking off in a big way. Maybe not the heavier, thrash, or wizard metal he enjoyed most, but it was still good. Everyone at work, except for the few hair metal guys, said that Eddie's choice of music made the customers less patient, and people wouldn't hang around the cars for sale in the lot for as long because of the music.

Eddie thought it was horseshit, but he only needed this job for a little while longer. It was just to cover the bills whilst Steve was studying, and when Steve got a job, Eddie would pursue whatever it would be he wanted to study...that bit he hadn't figured out yet, which is why he went out and got this job the very next day after they discussed it.

There would have been no way Steve would not have wanted to be the breadwinner if Eddie had let him choose.

Truly the absolute worst situation was to be on the day shift with his boss. Not only did he have to be customer-facing because his boss was the laziest motherfucker the universe had ever created, but also he had to endure whatever music he wanted to listen to, primarily genres Eddie wouldn't touch with a telegraph pole. Worse still, the radio station he liked most must have its own version of a set list because when Eddie heard a song, he could often predict the next.

Freshly showered and already in his comfy sweatpants and threadbare t-shirt, Eddie towel dries his hair roughly as he glances at his copy of this week's shifts, "Goddammit!" He seethes through his teeth, groans and throws himself back dramatically over the arm of the sofa so that he lands face up in Steve's lap, who just manages to lift his textbook up in time to escape Eddie's damp tendrils of hair. He's getting much better at dodging these mishaps after living with one another for so long.

"Well, now that's just great. I'm gonna look like I peed myself," Steve laughs.

"You're still going out?" Eddie pouts, and his eyebrows push together as he tries to make the most endearingly sad face possible up at Steve. Using all his power to attempt to penetrate the book with sheer will.

"It's just a talk, Honey. I'll be gone for two hours if that." Steve says distantly, turning the page before putting his hand to Eddie's chest, which is quickly grappled by Eddie's hands, teamed with a super over-the-top dramatic sigh, making Steve laugh.