The Love Hypothesis - One Shot

I led Olive into the Starbucks where we used to have our weekly dates. You would think after a year and a half of dating that we would find another tradition for our dates, but this one stuck. Every Wednesday, no matter how busy we are, we come to this Starbucks to just be in each other's presence.

The day Olive jumped me was probably the best day of my life, following our first encounter in the bathroom, and now, hopefully today.

When we began our fake relationship, it was so hard to not yell out into the universe that I had fallen helplessly in love with her. It frustrated me when she didn't believe that I could love her. Any guy that dumped her in the past was dumb as fuck.

I planned everything out perfectly, and somehow, I managed to work with other people and ask for their help. This woman really has changed me in so many ways. Anh and Malcolm were thrilled when I told them I was going to propose, but not as happy as Holden. I never loved anyone the way I love Olive and Holden knows that better than anyone. I don't think Olive even knows, if I'm being completely honest with myself. The way she looks at me sometimes, it's like she thinks I'm just a dream and she's going to wake up without me there. I am never going to let that happen.

While Olive and I were standing in line, I could tell that she knew something was off. I kept talking, which was weird for me because I'm the one that lets her talk. She cocked her head to the right and looked at me with sheer curiosity in her eyes.

"Is everything alright with you, Adam?" She asked. "You seem kind of out of it today. You're actually talking to me willingly. You would expect that I wouldn't say that to my boyfriend of a year and a half, but you never talk this much."

All the air inside my lungs released. This woman knows too much about me. I love it every day, but today was not the day for her to be suspicious!

"Yeah, I'm all good, sweetheart" I said with all the assurance I could muster up.

I could see the way her face softened when I called her sweetheart, I knew that would calm her down. Her whole body is just an open book for me.

I looked at the line in front of us and saw that there are still a few people that need to order, so I uncrossed my arms from my chest and reached out for her. She gladly fell into my arms, like I was her protector in this cruel world. Which I find interesting because I feel like she's my protector. I guess we protect each other from the things that scare us the most. I tighten my grip around Olive's waist, glad that I finally found the courage in myself to ask her to marry me. It sounds cliché, I know, but I really do love her in all the ways a person can love another. I don't want anyone but her.

It's finally our turn to order and Olive opens her mouth to order, but not quick enough, because I'm already talking.

"Can we get a grande pumpkin spice latte, with extra whipped cream, and a tall americano with one raw sugar? Thanks."

Olive looked at me with wide eyes, but I'm not sure if it's because I remembered her order, or that I asked for sugar in my coffee. WIth the amount of time we spend together, I obviously know her autumn Starbucks orders, and I've developed a small sweet tooth.

"Alright, that brings yours total to $11.97. How would you like to pay?" the cashier asked politely. Apparently a little too polite for Olive's liking because she's shooting daggers to the cashier with her eyes.

"Uh, credit please" I replied, peeling my eyes away from Olive.

The lady punched some stuff into her machine and turned the pin pad towards me.

"Whenever you're ready" she said

I quickly tapped my card on the display, getting ready to leave this situation, when the lady started talking again.