Chapter 7: Change

Start from the beginning

I chuckle and end the embrace. "I'm gonna miss you too but don't worry we'll keep in touch. By the way, James' ready to take you as his secretary if you want."

"Well, it's that or being unemployed. So I think I'm gonna take you up on that offer." She says sarcastically.

"Don't say that, you're gonna make me feel guilty."

"Don't be, you deserve this break. But you'll have to keep me updated somehow."

"Okay I'll think of something. Anyway, I have to empty this office so I better get going."

"And I have to go see my new boss."

We share a last hug and then return to our business.

I succeed in putting all of my things in only two boxes and I'm proud. Two boxes shouldn't be too big to carry in the subway, they're not too heavy so that should be okay.

I enter my apartment and put down the boxes. I did it!

I hop on my sofa deserving a good relaxing time after this bloody day. I remember I told Nina I'll call her after my lunch, so I quickly grab my phone and do that.

"Hey my new gay friend!" She exclaims as I see her big ass face on the screen.

"Oh, shut up! I don't even know if that's what I am." I complain.

"Whatever. So how was that lunch?" She asks intrigued.

"Ugh I don't even know where to start. I think I screwed up."

"What? Why? Tell me from the beginning."

"Okay. Well, when I arrived at the restaurant she was already there and it was great. We talked it was nice. Oh and guess what?" I say remembering she's in a Marvel movie.

"What?"

"You're going to like what I'm going to say."

"Come on say it stop teasing!"

"She's playing in the next Marvel movie, Avengers Endgame I think."

"Bloody hell! Is that true?! I so want to meet her now!" I see her frown. "Wait. Don't tell me it's THE Elizabeth Olsen?!"

"Is she that famous?" I say clueless.

"So it is her. Wow, why are you the one meeting her when you're not even a fan? Life is not fair." She fakes a pout.

"Guess not. But if she still wants somehow to be friends with me, I'll try to arrange something so you can meet her."

"Blimey! That'll be amazing! Continue the story so I can see why she wouldn't be friends with you anymore."

"Alright. So yeah we talked a lot and when it came to the dessert I don't even know how it happened but she called with the nickname and I—"

"You mean Flo's?" She cuts me off.

"Yep that one. So it kinda triggered something in me and a second later I was screaming at her and then having a panic attack in the bathroom."

"Oooh, Alex." She starts to cry. "I hate not being there with you."

"Me too but stop crying I'm okay now."

"No you're not. You've had three panic attacks in four days! That's not okay!"

"Any road, my story's not finished." I dodge the subject. "When I went back to our table she was still there and I didn't know what to do so I kinda apologize and she hugged me and then I left."

"She hugged you so it's a good sign, no?"

"I don't know. She said she'll be calling me later but I still haven't heard from her." She chuckles. "What?"

"You know 'later' doesn't have to mean today. So, don't worry your Lizzie is gonna call you."

"She's not mine and also I don't call her that."

"Ooooh, so how do you call her?" She looks at me with a mischievous smile.

"Stop looking me like that and making everything dirty."

"I'm not you're the one doing that!" She laughs.

"Whatever, I still haven't told you everything. I quit my job." I blurt out.

"What happened?"

"I just need to take some time to figure out somethings about my life and myself, so I'll have plenty of time being unemployed."

"I'm proud of you. You deserve this."

"Okay, enough about me. What's up?"

"Since yesterday, not much. The kids were exhausting but it's Monday so it's normal."

"You must be pretty tired. By the way, what time is it for you?"

"Almost midnight."

"Okay, well I let you sleep. Talk to you tomorrow."

"Yeah, love you. Cheerio."

"Love you too. Cheerio." On that I hang up. I really miss her.

I realize that since I have no job anymore I have plenty of free time. Therefore, I can go to London and visit my best friend as soon as I want. With that idea in mind I take my laptop and book a plane ticket to London Friday morning so I can surprise Nina and stay for the weekend.

The ringing of my phone wakes me up. I sit up properly on the couch to come to my senses and notice that Friends' still playing. Shit I must have fallen asleep. I take up my phone from the floor, don't ask me how it got there, and see it's El calling me. I pick up the call.

"Hi, what's up?" I greet her with a surprisingly raspy voice.

"Hi. Sorry, I woke you up?"

"Yes but it's okay I shouldn't be sleeping anyway."

"Why not? It's pretty late so I would understand if you did."

"Why? What time is it?" I haven't slept that much have I?

"Almost ten."

"Shit! Well I guess I'm gonna make dinner now. Better late than never." I say as I head for the kitchen. "Hum..."

"So what are you going to cook?" She breaks the awkward silence.

"Probably pasta." I state as I put my phone on the counter and turn on the speaker.

She laughs. "You already ate pasta at lunch."

"Fair point. But I want to cook something easy, quick and good, and there's only that that comes to my mind right now."

"You could make a salad."

I go over to my fridge and open it. "Hum I don't think I have what it takes to make a good salad right now."

She blows with an annoyed look. "I'm on my way. What's your address?"

"No, you're not coming at my home just to cook me something. And don't you have a flight tomorrow?"

"I do but it's late in the day. And don't be stubborn."

"You're crazy you know that? It's 480 Lexington Avenue. And aren't there like paparazzi?"

"You really don't want me to come, do you? Anyway too late for you and don't worry I'm undercover. I'm going to hang up, see you in a minute!" She's crazy. Why is she even doing that after everything?

Anyway, she's still coming over so I better look presentable and have a not too messy apartment.

———

A/N Happy new year everyone! I wish you all the best for 2023. Xxx