chapter 19.

"Baby, I promise you have everything you need, we're only going for one night

"Baby, I promise you have everything you need, we're only going for one night." His hands find my hips as I rummage through my duffel bag, double and triple checking that I haven't forgotten anything. I sigh and turn around to meet my favorite shade of green, laughing at myself while bringing a hand to my forehead.

"Chronic overpacker, what can I say." I exhale and let my lips fall into his.

No matter the occasion, regardless of how far or how long, I've never been able to leave my house without at least double the amount of stuff any reasonable person might bring along for a trip. I always justify this aggravating tendency by saying I'd rather have too much than not enough, but really, how many pairs of socks could one person need for an overnight trip?

"It's okay, darling. But we really should get going." He smiles against me, and I nod my head in agreement.

"You're right, you're right. Let's get out of here." I zip up my bag in an act of finality. I go to grab the handles, but before my skin makes contact with the material, it's being snatched away by larger, stronger hands. I bite back a smile at his gesture. By now, I know better than to utter a word of protest, so instead I press a kiss to his cheek and whisper a thank you in his ear.

Harry is, and always has been, the biggest gentleman. From a young age, I became accustomed to doors being opened, heavy items being carried, and walking on the inside of the sidewalk whenever I was with him. I think it had something to do with the fact that he grew up in a household with two of the best women I've ever known, but even before he was mine, he completely spoiled me with the way I was treated.

We make it out of my house at just past 9 am, and the summer sun is already beating down on us as we walk down to the harbor. Harry's been a bit secretive about the overall itinerary for the weekend, but for once in my life, I don't mind. It's freeing, in a way, to relinquish a minor aspect of control that I haven't quite been able to lose with anyone else. Even with my closest friends, I'm always the one planning and overseeing things— not because they give me that burden, but because I can't let go of it myself.

It's different with Harry, though.

Then again, I suppose it always has been.

With our pinkies linked together, the ocean slowly comes into view. Sunlight reflects off the water, casting our slice of the island in a golden glow. Butterflies start taking flight in my stomach as we get closer to Harry's boat, blue cursive lettering adorning the side. Just like last time, he extends a hand to help me bridge the gap between the dock and the vessel, his larger one encompassing my own.

I smile appreciatively at him as he joins me, making a quick stop in the cabin area to drop off my bag before heading up to the main deck. Harry leaves me to fend for myself as he gets the boat started, so I take it upon myself to make note of everything he prepared for the short trip. He must have stopped at the boat before coming to my house, since his bag was already here and he's arranged a few items for us throughout the boat. There are striped yellow towels on the deck, some sunscreen and goggles, and on the small table, he's got a few of my favorite snacks next to a bouquet of flowers. At first, I'm too distracted by the fact that he remembered I specifically like the rainbow goldfish and not just the regular ones to notice a small envelope propped up against the flowers.