Chapter 2 - Promise

Shina Grace's point of view

As the veil of the night covered the firmament I thought about how interesting it would be to live away from this town, I imagined the endless stories that every night happened in a big city full of beautiful lights of all kinds of colors. Although the town doesn't really have anything bad or something punctual to complain about, I couldn't imagine myself chaining my whole life to this place without being able to go out and meet many things and people, however, in the same way that I wished I had wings and could fly, I also felt very afraid thinking about the enormity of what was unknown to me......

I could feel my heart about to burst, the beats pushed my chest to the point of feeling how the buttons of my blouse were unable to contain them, I was aware of every drop of sweat that ran down my face, I still could not understand what was that in front of me and why it caused me so much fear. How had I gotten here? At what point had I arrived at such a situation? ....

-07:10 PM-

I felt dazed and tired after the first day of classes, my friends had forced me to accompany them for longer than I would have liked to be outside the four walls of my room, besides, I wanted to return home quickly so I could spend time with my little livye, a cat that has been with me since I was 12 years old; he was the last gift from my mother before she passed away in a traffic accident while traveling to work, the last promise I made to her was that I would protect that cat. Since then I have only lived with my father, although, to call this living is too much of an exaggeration. As a child or teenager for as long as I can remember the reputable Dr. Patrick Grace has always been obsessed with his work, always away from home in the clinic or stuck in his study reading more and more medical books, he has never been a loving or particularly attentive father, although I can't criticize him at all either, as, his passion for medicine has provided me with the resources I needed to become the person I had always wanted to be. I can't really say I love him or hate him, I just respect him, I guess.

The entrance was surrounded by a sort of greenish mold that was slowly forming over the years, my house had a constant coolness to it thanks to the trees arranged at the back of the house. As I approached the black door my mind was filled with a nostalgic illusion of the times when my mother was still alive, as I tried to place the key in the lock I noticed a peculiar sound as I turned it to open it that made me think that something internally had broken.

The monotonous indifference I found when entering my house did not surprise me too much, at least not more than the rest of the days, the only thing I missed was the meowing of my cat that although I called it loudly I never had the slightest answer, I knew perfectly well that it was not something abnormal that livye was out of the house and that is why I did not feel alarmed, I just felt lonely.

At the entrance I found small patches of dirt that were heading to the main living room, following them I found a note on a wooden table that adorned the living room, I was starting to feel tense and imagined several possible scenarios that would explain what was happening, even so I stayed positive thinking that my father had been home before and had left me that paper with some warning, although I know that at some point that would not make sense knowing that nowadays we all have cell phones.

My nervousness was progressively consuming my courage, as I clutched the note I could feel my hand begin to tremble and my fingers momentarily had trouble unfolding the paper and being able to read the message it contained.

My eyes became clouded with a dark curtain the moment I knew what the message on the note.

"Hey, I found your cute friend and he doesn't look too good. Maybe you should come see him soon.