Magnus Bane

"Why does your name sound familiar?" The boy in the eye makeup section questions, tapping his chin. "You don't look particularly familiar but your name does." He tasted the name, "Magnus Bane? Hmm, I could swear I've heard it. Jude?"

Jude must be his female companion, Magnus is not one to assume but he had a hunch the two in front of him may be involved. Jude put some thought into it before saying, "I think Nihuar may have mentioned a Magnus Bane, though I can't remember why." She turns away from her partner and back to Magnus. "We're going to a wedding and he insisted on hu—new makeup. He usually uses black and gold. What should we get him?"

With a graceful flick of his wrist, and not using magic, Magnus picked a pallet off the wall that had colors ranging from bright gold to the darkest black available. "I would refrain from using the super light colors, but the darker ones would complement his eyes well, especially if he wears something on the darker side of the color spectrum."

The two shared a knowing glance as if they were arguing, before Alec chimed in, "I'm sorry he made this a whole long process thing, I don't know anything about makeup but I'm sure it didn't need to be that drawn out."

Magnus clicked his tongue at his naive boyfriend. "I could've made that a much longer exchange if I wanted to."

The boy stuck out his hand to shake Magnus's. "Thanks for the help, I'm Cardan."

Cardan, wait, back it up, CARDAN? "Excuse me, did I hear you correctly? Cardan?" Magnus looked at Alec who looked much too confused, poor shadowhunter hadn't heard of the Downworld's latest gossip of what's been going on in Faerieland and the overturn of power; the Seelie Queen in Central Park had been going on about how she wished she'd taken her opportunity, though no one takes her seriously since her time allied with Sebastian. "As in Cardan Greenbriar?"

When the girl's tight smile dropped and her hand fell to her boot Magnus realized the deep shit he'd just gotten himself in; of course, if this were the infamous High King of Elfhame he'd have a guard who attacks anyone who could be a threat. "Who are you?" Her voice was strong, not that of a simple knight.

"Magnus Bane, High Warlock of Brooklynn." Magnus heard Alec swear beside him before a seraph blade was in his hand. A warning hand of Magnus's reached out to stop his boyfriend. "We mean no harm to the High King, merely surprised he'd be here when we barely ever see the Seelie Queen these days. Of course, she shouldn't try to get involved in important affairs after her last screw-up and her lying representative bu—"

"Half-faeries can't lie either, he'd have to be human to lie," this Jude girl sounded so confident it was then it struck Magnus.

"The mortal High Queen isn't just a rumor?"

"The High Warlock of Brooklynn isn't just a rumor?" The Queen mocked Magnus as she lunged, held back by her king.

"Jude," he whispered to her, though Magnus still heard, "didn't Vivi say her wedding was being officiated by a High Warlock? We wouldn't want to ruin her wedding, now would we?"

She huffed and said, "Whatever," under her breath and stormed off and out the door.

"Does she not like makeup stores?" Magnus joked as Alec put away his seraph blade.

Cardan let out a surprised chuckle. "Doesn't like being wrong. Mind giving me some tips on what other pallets would work?" The High King turned back to the wall, "I could buy the store if I really wanted..."

"Wouldn't be useful to a faerie," Alec spat with a sort of venom in his voice, but not enough to pierce the king's ego.

"It would give me something to do while Jude runs everything," he turns and smiles at the couple standing by him, "she's vicious but good in politics."

Magnus let out a genuine laugh. "I'm sure she's better than our local faerie queen."

A dark brow raises on Cardan's forehead. "Who would that be?"

Magnus hoped Alec now noticed this young teenage king did not affiliate with the same people the Lady of the Seelie Court allied with. "No one really knows her name 'round this joint. Faeries in the area call her the Faerie Queen, but she's only queen of the Seelie Courts. I haven't a clue how far her rule stretches."

"Not to Elfhame, since the only Seelie representative I have is Nihuar." Cardan's voice hushed a bit as a mundane passed their isle. He grabbed a couple more pallets and winked at Magnus and Alec, "I'll do some experimenting."

"There's no such thing as too much glitter," Cardan and Magnus chimed in perfect unison as Magnus placed the originally chosen pallet on top of Cardan's new stack.

🎉 You've finished reading Just A Splash of Sparkles (Magnus Bane meets Cardan Greenbriar in Sephora) 🎉