Chapter Four 𐮛 River Affinity

Começar do início

"Are you both alright?" She asks, feeling their anticipation.

"We are well, my lady, do not worry." Boromir nods, smiling politely. She huffs in amusement, knowing it was definitely something to be worried about.

"Please, call me [Y/n]," she bows for him and Boromir chuckles, while Aragorn smiles faintly, observing their interaction. Before she could leave, Aragorn stops her.

"Set camp in the clearing, behind those bushes." He points. "We rest here tonight," he finishes, and [Y/n] nods understandingly, hoping that whatever it was they are worried about, it's not too bad.

Heading to Sam, she sees Frodo already sat against a tree safely in the clearing, but Sam was collecting some water in his skin flask, stuffing it into his bag.

"Come, Sam," she reaches her hand out and he quizzically takes it, following her to the clearing.

"We stay here tonight," she pats his back and he complies, unpacking some of his stored food, then she jogs over to Legolas and Gimli, who were still conversing by the water, presumably about the boats given that Legolas would point at them occasionally.

"Come sit with us," she waves them over, and Gimli immediately jumps to action when he hears the possibility of sitting comfortably, trotting away to Frodo and find himself a nice smooth rock to sit upon. Legolas, however, remained staring at her with his arms folded, not responding to her offer.

"Come on, then," she gestures frantically, feeling his stare bore into her head. Luckily, Legolas complied wordlessly, but kept a smug look on his face. That rascal, was he mocking me? She narrows her foul gaze and soon joins them, leaning against a rock with it plastered across her face.

As Boromir and Aragorn spoke hushed to themselves, the fellowship settled in and unpacked their beds. Night had already begun to creep in, shadows around them beginning to flicker stronger from the dim campfire they got going. It was dimming by the minute, so [Y/n] helps gather some wood for a fire, and Legolas is the one that takes it from her hand — notably in an odd way; by putting his hand over hers and then sliding off onto the wood. The whole process made her ears burn and her chest drum loudly. She recollected herself by pinching her ears out of his sight.

When the fire was lit, [Y/n] stayed away from it due to how warm she already was, just by being touched by Legolas so briefly. She took in a deep breath, feeling angered that he was able to have such an affect on her, so she set off for revenge, hoping to get the same out of him.

Approaching with wobbly legs, she endured his curious stare and leant against the tree next to him. Patiently, she waited for him to stop talking to the others, before she made her move.

Running a finger through the side of his head where his braid was, she delicately stroked it for as long as she could, ignoring her thumping heart and shaking hands. He didn't say a word, but stiffened upon contact, his eyebrows furrowing ever so slightly.

"I could never braid my hair," she casually sighs, before retreating. He lets out a deep breath and turns to her with slightly widened eyes and his adams apple bob up and down noticeably.

"Perhaps, I could do one for you?" He suggests, and she shakes her head.

"No, thank you. I like to keep my hair out of the way," she flicks her shoulder, as if to action flicking her hair despite nothing being there. Her hair was in a tight bun, secured with a hair stick and a cover, so that it doesn't fall out while she's running.

"A shame, I say. Hair is a blessing and to keep it trapped tightly in such a style is a great pity. I would wager that if you let your hair free, you would look far more fairer," he replies, his lips quirking up when she looks away, a blush forming on her face instantly. Did he just imply I'm fair? Who cares, ignore it! She looks back furiously.