Part 1

Y/n POV-

The cold of the open window and the rays of sun in my eye awoke me. It was yet another ordinary day. It felt like there was something going on today, but I just couldn't place my finger on it. There was a knock at the door.

"Come in." You say, pulling the blanket up to your shoulder, still laying in bed.

"Happy birthday Y/n" Dad says, cracking the door open. Ah, that's right; my birthday.

He walks into the room with a cake in hand. "I know you don't really like celebrating your birthday, but you're 18 today and I thought we could at least acknowledge it." He says, holding the cake up for me.

I smile, looking to him gratefully. "Thanks."

"I have a holiday party tonight too, I thought just the two of us could go. All my friends and associates will be there." He says. "Maybe you could meet someone too?" He adds.

Of course. Good ol' dad wants me to meet someone special. He doesn't like seeing me alone.

I'm not big on people. Especially when they want to kiss me. Let's just say I haven't had the best luck with love. Third grade Neil Bryan wanted to kiss me on the playground. Instead, I gave him a worm to meet his lips. He was not happy that I would substitute myself for a worm. But, he wasn't my type anyway. So it's all good.

What Gordon Bill learned when he adopted me is that life wasn't fair for everyone. My biological parents died when I was 5, leaving me to my aunt. She was so kind, caring for me and teaching me the importance of kindness. She was dating Gordon when the car accident happened. She was gone in an instant.

It is fair to say they where in love, so when she passed I was the only thing left of her. I guess that is one reason he adopted me. The other being that we kind of bonded when she was alive. Her niece that so closely resembled her living on her legacy. It seemed that I was always lonely without him. So he was kind enough to take me in after my aunt's death.

"I could try, I guess." I respond to my dad's comment. "That's the spirit!" He cheers. Great.

-time skip to tonight for the party-

3rd person POV-

You where dressed rather well, making the statement you wanted. You looked good, no one could deny that. Not even your dad. "Wow, you really had to outdress me at my own party?" he says. "Yep, gotta make a statement." You reply, smirking. "Well the party is in New York, so you're in for a treat. No one parties like New Yorkers." He says. "Well, I'll be looking forward to it." You reply.

You drive to the private jet you're dad has and fly to New York. Considering you where based in Minneapolis, it was a pretty flight. When you arrive you get straight off the jet into a fancy limousine. It was the party car for sure. There was enough alcohol in there to make an elephant tipsy. Of course when we arrived we got to meet many people, well at least I did. My dad already knew most of the people there. So the interdiction period was rather short. We where in the actual party in no time.

Soon enough you where submerged in the classical music and talking to all these entrepreneurs that bored you. You had multiple people try to flirt with you now that you where 18, but none of them really interested you. They where always old and weird. Eventually you made your way to the piano and convinced the guy to let you play some songs.

Classical pop is what you went for. Most of the people at this party didn't know what music you where going for, but they liked it. Big hit on your part, playing some newer artists on the piano. The party was just about getting interesting.

Then as you where on your last few songs for the night, a man walked in. He caught your eye. Long slicked back black hair, a grey scarf, looks that could kill. You wondered why he was there, he seemed so different. Then you got your answer, when he walked up to your father and stabbed him in the eye. You where in shock, unable to move.

In an instant, everyone was scattering and you just stared. Why would anyone need to do that? So many emotions came and went all at once, you didn't even notice that the man was now walking towards you. Someone interrupted your thoughts by shaking you. It was your dad's good friend, yelling something at you.

Then all at once, he was gone, just like your dad. Stabbed in the back. He fell to the floor leaving just you and the man who just murdered your dad and his friend. In that instant you finally had the courage to tune back into the world.

"Kneel." The man said. You just looked up at him, as if you where deaf. "Did you not hear me mortal? KNEEL." He said. The power in his voice had you in shock. But you still stood to face him. He walked even closer, raising his staff thing, tapping you in the chest with it. A burst of energy blast through the room as soon as he tapped your chest.

You felt different. Tired, you fell to your knees. You felt hazy. "You're different." The man observed. "No one has ever reacted like that to my staff." He almost says to himself. He looked down at you as you are slowly loosing consciousness. "I'll be back for you little black bird." He says. Then he walks away, leaving you to pass out.

Just great.