Better Late Than Never

Start from the beginning

“Cara!” It was Taylor and what’s worse about it is that she is with Harry. 

“Long time no see! Where have you been?” She hugged me so tight that I was barely breathing. 

Harry’s face was painted with shock, sadness and something that I can’t really determine. My heart skipped a beat when I spotted him. I never saw him during the past 12 months except from television or magazines but seeing him in front of me, so alive and real, makes the butterflies in my stomach flip again after their long rest. 

I can’t deny. I am still in love with him and I guess I will never get over him. But now, I have accepted the fact that he will never be mine. 

Taylor pulled back and wrapped her arms around Harry. To lessen the awkwardness I and Harry feel, I asked Taylor, “So you’re now staying here in London for good?” 

“Yeah, trying to be a supportive wife and all. Plus I also went lie low for now. We’re planning to have a baby this year.” She smiled. 

I guess I just made everything worse because that led her to asking, “So, you now have a baby? You didn’t even tell us you’re seeing someone.” She peeked at the stroller and made funny faces to my baby.  

My throat tightened and I felt cold sweat in my palms. No one can know about our child, especially Taylor and Harry. Thank God Jake arrived with our tray of food. 

“Uhm, Taylor, Harry, this is Jake. Jake, Taylor and Harry.” I introduced them to each other. 

“Hi Jake! You must be a really great guy! Take care of our Cara and this adorable buddy here.” she said. 

This is one of the reasons I know why Harry fell for Taylor. She was just so warm and sweet to everyone. Before anyone could react, “Let’s go Taylor, I’m going to be late for recording.” Harry said through what seems to be gritted teeth and they left without hearing anything from him. 

Jake and I sat. Before I was able to put my first bite of pancake in my mouth, Jake said, “Harry definitely knows that this boy is his and he is jealous because he thinks you’re dating me!” “What are you talking about? He didn’t even saw an inch of Harry. He can’t know this baby looks like him and I don’t care if he thinks I’m dating you. He is married and I don’t want to get involved anymore.”  I replied. 

“Well, if that’s what you think, I won’t argue. But may I remind you Ms. Cara Delevingne that it’s only been a year and do you think Harry is stupid enough to think that you went to Paris, fucked a guy, got pregnant and gave birth that fast? Of course he will know it is his.” Jake is right. Harry isn’t stupid enough to not know. But basing from his reactions, I guess he doesn’t want to get involved with our kid and I’m fine with that. 

We finished our breakfast and grabbed a cab home. Jake stayed behind as usual. He always does at Saturdays like this. He helps me take care of Harry and prepare me for my modeling come-back but today, he told me he will go a bit earlier. He said he’s going to have a dinner date with Sam, his boyfriend. 

When Jake left, everything that happened earlier today flashed in my mind. Harry. The one year away from him didn’t make a slight difference on my feelings for him. I still love Harry and maybe having a kid with him made me feel more attached to him now more than ever even after a year of separation. I want our son to grow up with a father figure with him but I don’t think that would be possible. He’s starting a family now and I don’t want to ruin that by getting me and our son in their lives. Hooking up with him when he was with Taylor is enough for me. I don’t want to get in the way with their beautiful marriage. 

I was clearing my mind away from these thoughts involving him when I heard a knock on my flat’s door. “Don’t tell me your boyfriend didn’t show up! Come on in Jake! The door is open.” I shouted at Jake but instead of Jake, I saw Harry next to my door. 

I quickly got up and went to him. “What are you doing here Harry?” I asked him as I went to Harry’s crib and carried him. 

“I knew you would come back here. You never sold this flat, and, that Jake guy, he’s gay? Isn’t he your boyfriend?” he asked. 

“Well, who said I was dating my gay friend and, does Taylor know about this?” I asked him back. The cheeky smile in his face faded in the same second I muttered Taylor’s name. 

“Cara, Taylor and I, were getting a divorce.” He said calmly. 

“Huh? I thought you were planning to have a child this year? How come you’re getting divorced? Plus I just saw you have breakfast together.” I replied to him begging for further explanation. I don’t even know why I am asking those questions and where this conversation is heading to but I feel that I need to know something. 

“We were falling apart. But Taylor was still in denial about it. But when she saw the two of you this morning, she signed the papers.” He explained. 

Before I could reply, “And that is why I am here Cara. I want to know the truth, well I’m quite sure of it but I want your confirmation. Is that child, mine?” he asked. I don’t know how to respond to his questions. My mind went blank as if all the possible answers in my head were scared of his response to it. 

“Can I carry him?” Harry suddenly asked out of the blue. 

“Sure” was my only reply. I transferred our son from my arms to his. 

“God Cara! He looks just like me.” He said as he stared at his son’s face with admiration. “What’s his name?” he asked me. 

“Harry. I named him after you.” I answered. 

He held our son’s little hand and said, “Well, Hello Harry. I’m Harry, your dad.” He smiled. 

I can’t help but smile at them. I stared at them. I want to remember all the details of this moment. It is just so perfect. 

Then Harry spoke again, “Cara, I’m sorry if this was 4 years too late but, I love you Cara, besides being the mother of my wonderful first born, will you take me back and be my girlfriend?” I smiled at him. At last, I heard the “I love you” that I wanted, four years in the making, but all the pain and wait was worth it. “Well, it’s better late than never.”