"It's nothing," Samantha shrugged him off, hoping he would drop it, only for someone else to pick it up.

"It's not nothing," Jess narrowed his eyes at her. "Spit it out."

"I think I broke up with my mom," Samantha blurted out, causing her dad and cousin to stop in their tracks. "That probably isn't the right way to say it, but it makes the most sense to me and-"

"Wait, wait, wait," Luke held his hands out, trying to figure out what was going on in her head right now. "What are you talking about?"

"We had a fight," Samantha explained briefly, starting to walk again as both boys hurried to keep up with her. "It was a big, ginormous fight of monstrous proportions. I told her how I felt about being second best to Rory, and then it ended with me being the first to walk out of the room. I just left her in there. I'm a terrible person. Oh my gosh-"

"She deserved it," Jess said bluntly, shrugging his shoulders. "It was about time you stood up for yourself."

"She's still her mom, though," Luke argued, once again being the voice of reason for his kids. "I mean, obviously, I think you shouldn't accept less than you deserve but don't you think you should give her another chance?"

"I have given her another chance," Samantha snapped, throwing her hands up in the air in exasperation and catching her companions off guard. "I've given her a million second chances. I just- I can't keep doing this. Every time I let her in, she let me down. I wanted her to love me like she loves Rory, but I've realized that's never going to happen. Maybe sometime in the future, she can be some kind of person in my life, but right now, she can't. I can't be her daughter."

The tween looked between her cousin and dad, and ultimately the sad looks they sent her couldn't keep her rooted to the pavement. As Samantha charged toward the diner, Luke began to go after her. However, he was stopped by Jess's hand.

"Just give her some time to cool off," Jess advised. "She won't hear anything we say to her right now."

"How do you know that?" Luke questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"I just do."

~:~

"Don't forget the ice cream," Samantha told Jess as she sat in a shopping cart, making the teenager roll her around Doosey's market. "We are making a sundae extravaganza."

"You are so spoiled," Jess rolled his eyes, giving her the ice cream before sneaking a can of whipped cream and chocolate syrup into the cart. "Don't tell Luke."

Samantha gave him a thumbs up, about to grab a bag of gummy worms, before an annoying high-pitched voice rang out across the store. "What are you two hooligans doing?"

"Shopping," Jess answered, giving a sarcastic smile as he grabbed two bags of flour. "Tell me, Taylor, in your professional opinion, which one of these would make my cakes fluffier?"

"Young man, if you came here just to tease me and not buy anything, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," Taylor wagged his finger at Jess.

"If you say so," Jess smirked, putting down the flour, before spinning the shopping cart around and heading straight towards the exit, causing Taylor to gape at him as Samantha giggled uncontrollably.

"That was not what I meant, young man! Get back here!"

Samantha moved to the front of the cart, yanking the door open as Jess pushed them out of the store. He moved quickly, his fingers gripping the shopping cart as though it were his lifeline while he ran away from the cranky store owner. Meanwhile, Samantha sat back contently in the back of the shopping cart, opening the tub of ice cream they did not pay for and dousing it in chocolate syrup and gummy worms before digging in. She looked back at the store, her face covered in melted ice cream and chocolate since she didn't have a spoon, unable to keep in her laughter as she saw Taylor attempt to chase them. He went farther than last time, going a whole six feet before giving up and shouting at them from afar.