Daisy and the Duke - Part 4

Start from the beginning

"Because I'm very good at what I do. I'm a research librarian at the University of Virginia. The Wolffs hired me to come here and examine some of your family records. If you give your permission, that is..."

***

Ian frowned inwardly. All he had to do was say a definitive "no" and send her on her way. But he couldn't. Not yet. He didn't want to. He could only think about lying beside her on a grassy hill and acting like a man and not a duke. For a few short moments with Daisy, his life had seemed full of possibilities.

He sighed. "I assure you, Daisy, we take genealogy very seriously here in England. And I can also tell you with absolute certainty that my dear grandmother and I are the only remaining members of the Wolffhampton family. Period." He hated disappointing her, but her employers had sent her on a fool's errand.

She leaned toward him, her heart-shaped face earnest. The passion and conviction in her voice seduced him as surely as her beautiful spirit. "But your family may have been misled," she said. "A bastard son, Octavius, who shamed your ancestors with his antics, didn't die at sea, as it was claimed. He survived being thrown overboard, showed up in America, took Wolff as his surname, started a family without bothering to get married, and made a fortune in railroads."

Holy hell. "How do you know this?"

"Victor and Vincent found a journal."

"And you have this for me to examine?"

"Well, no. It's far too valuable to travel with...but I photocopied some pertinent passages. All I need to do is see your family Bible and any other records you may have from that time so I can cross-reference the information in the journal. You can call the Wolffs if you want to verify my identity."

He shook his head in bemusement. "I doubt you're here to steal the family silver. And I suppose there's no harm in letting you poke around. But why on earth are you staying in a hostel? Surely the Wolffs could have sprung for more upscale accommodations."

Guilt etched her expressive face. "I'm trying to save money. When I'm done here, I hope to take a few days and visit Scotland. Do you know if it's true what they say? That the men go naked beneath their kilts?"

His lip curled in exasperation. "What is it with you women and Scotsmen? An Englishman is worth two of those barbarians any day."

Daisy grinned at him, the sparkle in her eyes making him want to kiss her again...urgently.

"Nevertheless," she said primly. "I cancelled my original reservations and I've been spending as little cash as possible. I guess a man like you wouldn't understand that."

He lifted an eyebrow. "A man like me?" They had played this verse before.

"You know. Rich."

He decided to let that comment pass. "Why are you so determined to see this through? Most people would have cut and run the first time I told you to leave."