Part of him was hoping that Lan Zhan wouldn't turn into an exploding firework just by coming out of his flat. They still had to get outside because the test was done using the huge window outside his door.

Wei Ying wanted to be safe when it was this important, and so far, all they had to go on was Lan Zhan’s instincts.

But wasn't that all about trust?

And they were about to find out either way, in just seconds.

This was the last flight of stairs.

"Any time you need this umbrella, just say." Wei Ying said, trying to keep the panic out of his voice.

"Mn."

In direct contrast to Wei Ying’s impending jitters, Lan Zhan felt more and more calm as the steps fell away from their feet and they got closer to the main door.

Wei Ying took a deep breath and threw open the door.

One more step...and they were outside.

Wei Ying paused, looking up at him.

Lan Zhan was still intact, and right next to him.

"I think we will be alright." He said, smiling.

Wei Ying let out all the air in his lungs, in one complete whoosh.

"Okay." He was smiling too. "Then this is the way to the bus stop."

They were a little early and Wei Ying appreciated the chance to spot the different coloured flowers growing in people's gardens, pine cones that had fallen from the trees, opening in the last heat of the summer.

Already the trees were losing their vivid green shades in favour of reds and golds, deep russets and rich ochre hues replacing them. Autumn was hurrying in, not waiting for anyone's permission.

Saturdays always felt lonely to Wei Ying.

Most people were still in bed, so the number of commuters was way less than the Monday to Friday crowd. There were less cars on the road too, so the bus had no issues getting to the high street on time.

"How many hours does Wei Ying work on a Saturday?" Lan Zhan wanted to know.

"My shift starts at nine and it's usually until four unless I have to cover for someone." Wei Ying explained. "That gives me plenty of time to reach Love Bites. That one starts at six and I can't be late for that."

Lan Zhan raised a brow.

"The manager has a stick shoved up his backside." Wei Ying said, by way of explanation. "And it's not smooth."

The imagery alone made Lan Zhan’s ears hotter.

"If you're coming with me tonight, you'll see." Wei Ying added, his tone more than a little despondent.

"Mn. Am coming with Wei Ying." Lan Zhan confirmed. "If Wei Ying doesn't like it...why stay?"

"The tips! They're so worth it. Plus I actually love tossing bottles about, there's something artistic in being able to do that. And the clients understand about Su She." He sighed, not wishing to elaborate.

Lan Zhan did not like this Su She person on principle; anyone who made his Wei Ying suffer wasn't worth the space they took up by existing, in his book.

But he had no right to say anything...yet.

Technically, Wei Ying wasn't his, not in the way that Lan Zhan would have preferred to identify him.

Not yet.

And he also did not know what time A-Yuan was coming home this evening.

From what he had observed, there wasn't a set pattern on who looked after the little boy. Sometimes it was Wen Qing and otherwise it was a toss up between Wen Ning and PoPo.