Chapter 14: Great Responsibility

Start from the beginning

Gwen placed both hands on his back and shoved him forward, not wanting to gain any unwanted attention since Miles had stopped walking in the middle of a crosswalk. "Alright, let's go, Spider-boy," Gwen muttered under her breath.

"It's Spider-man," the boy whined, but he followed her nonetheless. Gwen only chuckled in response.

The boy looked up toward the now almost completely purple sky, and basked in it's radiance. This universe looked so different- in a good way though. It almost looked like a work of art, carefully slathered with glowing, pastel colors. Maybe he should draw it when he gets home.

The boy turned to the girl beside him. Watching how the the lights from the street lights and the cars beside her lit up her face. The light bounced off her crystal blue eyes, making them sparkle light diamonds. She lifted up her head toward the sky with a soft smile on her face.

Miles had never seen her look so relaxed. He was glad she was comfortable enough around him to let down her guard. When they had first met, two years ago, he could sense her distrust for everyone and everything. She was still hurting from the death of her friend, but Miles was so glad he could help her to let go a bit, even it was just with web-swinging and corny jokes. He was glad to just be there for her.

Her flaxen hair shone under the moonlight. It was longer than it was the first time they met, though Miles thought it looked pretty either way. The freckles on the bridge of her nose reminded him of the stars in the sky, making up many different constellations.

Miles turned his gaze from his blond friend, down to the floor.

He had to stop. Gwen didn't deserve this. She didn't need him always staring at her like a depressed puppy.

"We're here," Gwen announced, softy.

Miles looked up, to see her house. He hadn't even noticed that they had been close to it. "Oh," he started, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then."

Gwen stared at him for a moment, her eyes darting all over his face as if searching for something. Miles just watched, curiously.

Finally her eyes locked on his as she spoke, "Are you sure, you're okay?"

Miles froze. He gulped, his Adam's apple bopping. Had she noticed his staring? Was she going to tell him to stop? Did she think he was weird?- Well, more weird than she already did?

"I know that with everything that's happened with Doc Oc and the collider..." her voice trailed off and Miles released a sigh.

To be completely honest, Miles had just tried to block it from his mind, but he guessed that wasn't the right call. It was still happening whether he wanted it to or not and he wasn't sure why. There were so many questions that he didn't have answers for. Why did Doc Oc want him? Maybe for his powers? Maybe she wanted to experiment on him?

Miles rubbed his temples. Thinking about it was giving him a migraine. He sat down of the front step of her house as he let out a heavy breath. Gwen sat down beside him.

"I'm fine," he told Gwen in a gentle voice as he stared down at his hands, "I guess just shaken up, because I don't know what she wants with me... or maybe my powers? I just... I don't know." Miles looked up to her sapphire, blue eyes that were laced with concern.

"I guess I'm just... I'm scared," he admitted bashfully. "What if she catches me off guard or I'm not strong enough to beat her?" he spoke to the sky, not really expecting an answer from her. In fact, it wasn't really her problem. He didn't really know why he was laying this all on her.

"Then I'll be there to stop her."

He turned his head to see the blond, surprised by her words. Her face was solemn as she gazed out in front of her.