Academy City

A black haired boy, wearing a black jacket and pants rode through the city on his bike..

It wasn't as if he hadn't rode before.. however.. since 2 years ago, the environment in which he rode had drastically changed, especially given the strange robots cleaning the streets, and all the other strange incredibly advanced technology that filled his surroundings.

Academy City. A city with population of 2.1 million, with 80 percent of that population being students due to the fact that the city was comprised almost completely of colleges, high schools, middle schools and elementary schools. With 60 percent of those students possessing incredible super powers thanks to the city's power development program.. a program that created psychics called espers.

Though of course, Kazuto Kirigaya wasn't here to go under the Power Development program, even though many of the people who were here for the same reason as him were given the option of doing so..

Supposedly, in a few weeks, a new school would be opening up to teach a certain group of high school aged kids who had fallen behind thanks to 2 years trapped inside a Virtual Reality video gam called Sword Art Online.

Most of the students who were in this situation, lived outside of Academy City, so the city, with it's incredibly fast building and technological potential, built a monorail faster then any other of it's kind.. one that went all across Japan, and led back to itself.. so that even those who didn't live within the sovereign land locked city could attend.

Kazuto, in fact, lived in Kawagoe City, in the Saitama prefecture of Japan. A small Edo town with a population of 340,000. A ride on the monorail only took around 5 minutes to reach Academy City.

Kazuto was here for no academic reason though, in reality, he was here to visit a friend.

And he found her, sitting at an umbrella table at an outdoor café that had opened up about a year ago during Sword Art Online..

She wore a black shirt with yellow hearts and blue denim short shorts. Her medium length chestnut brown hair fluttered a bit in the breeze, causing her small gold colored lightning bolt shaped hairpin to glint in the sun.

Mikoto Misaka smiled and waved at Kazuto as he approached the café table. And as he sat down, a small cylindrical pink robot, about the size of R2D2, roved over and set a small menu down for him.

"Thanks." said Kazuto, not really sure if he was required to thank a robot.

"I've got two more coming." said Mikoto. "They should be here in a minute."

"Uiharu and Saten again?" said Kazuto.

"Yep, Kuroko had to do some more stuff for Judgement." said Mikoto. "So how are you Kirito?"

"You know you're not supposed to call me that IRL right?" said Kazuto, raising an eyebrow.

"Eh.. sorry, it's just become sort of a habit." said Mikoto cheerfully. "Kinda like how I had to get used to Touma calling me Biribiri.."

"Referring to you by onomatopoeia." said Kazuto. "Kamijou told me that he used to get shocked by you a lot for that... you do know it's actually more like a term of endearment for him right?"

"I know.." said Mikoto. "It just took a while to stick for me."

"Well all this mega tech is going to take a while for me that's for sure.." said Kazuto as he stared at everything around him.. a Space Elevator.. a Windowless Building able to take a Nuclear Bomb.. Anti-Skill.. super powered Espers.. it's like I'm in a science fiction anime."

"The fact that we went into an VRMMO was already like a science fiction anime." said Mikoto. "Well you're going to have to get used to it.. we're all going to be going to school together here.. Lisbeth and Silica too.."