Seven - In the pursuit of legacy

Rhaenyra paced back and forth in her chambers. She rubbed her knuckles as she held her hands close to her bosom. Occasionally, she would nibble at the tip of the nail of her right thumb but more often, she would adjust the ring on her finger. At times, she would also rub her very pregnant three-moon belly. Inside her grows her child with Prince Laenor.

Time had surely moved fast and in a blink of an eye, nine moons had already passed since the news of the queen's pregnancy. At that very moment, Queen Laena had already gone into labor.

When the news about Queen Laena's pregnancy broke, Laenor's own self-imposed exile was briefly cut short. Hours after a raven was sent to Driftmark bearing the news, Laenor flew on dragonback towards King's Landing. Upon arriving, he headed straight to his sister's chambers and showered her with well-wishes.

The siblings had a chance to talk alone and it was Queen Laena who convinced Ser Laenor to reconcile with Princess Rhaenyra.

"She is your princess-wife, my sweet brother. Your circumstances may not have been borne out of love, yet she respects you. You would do well to return the same. It is a rarity these days."

Laenor, despite still hurting from Ser Joffrey's passing decided to take his beloved sister's advice. Mayhap he had been too harsh on the woman who only tried to help.

While walking on the hallway, Ser Laenor found Princess Rhaenyra all by herself in the godswood. Sighing, he began his approach towards the princess.

"Wife." Ser Laenor said in greeting as he approached.

"Husband." Princess Rhaenyra said in acknowledgment.

An awkward silence engulfed the two of them. With a heavy sigh, Ser Laenor spoke straightforwardly.

"It was not your fault... and I took out my anger on you."

Laenor paused.

"Forgive me."

Rhaenyra smiled, "There is nothing to forgive. Just come back to me."

"I will still need time. six moons, as you have suggested."

"Of course."

With that, an understanding was reached between the two. Rhaenyra sat in one of the benches while Laenor stood behind her, resting his hand on her shoulder. Rhaenyra would envelop his hand with hers. This time, there was no longer an awkward silence between the two of them. Rather, a peaceful silence enveloped the two.

Unknown to them, a knight of the kingsguard was watching them with an unreadable expression on his face.

In the months of Laenor's absence, Rhaenyra did not want for company. She may have busied herself with preparation for becoming queen, but in her free time, she would always seek the company of Queen Laena. The princess had found the queen to be quite the agreeable person, even during their childhood. She had qualities similar to the princess: bold and fiery and an adventurous spirit. It was only quite the shame that the queen had yet to claim a dragon.

The queen, for her part, had taken it upon herself to spend time with the princess. Queen Laena knew that having the previous queen replaced was a difficult decision. What made it the least bit easier was that she and the princess were fond of each other during their girlhood. The same remained true through the years.

Due to her fondness for the queen, Princess Rhaenyra had thought of gifting the queen a dragon she would call her own.

Together, they went to the dragonpit for Queen Laena to claim a dragon of her choosing. Vermithor, Syrax, Dreamfyre and Silverwing were the only dragons left unridden in the dragonpit.