Analogical meeting

Magsimula sa umpisa

Miss Smith took them to a table of a kid Ann recognized because of how often he participated in class. He had brown skin, grey eyes and curly brown hair, longer than how most boys had it, yet still considerately short. He had square glasses, and was wearing a black polo, dark blue jacket, and jeans. He had been writing things down in a notebook, the textbook next to him, closed.

"Sanches?" Miss Smith called. The boy sighed and looked up.

"Yes, Miss?" He asked, tiredness in his voice.

"This is Ann," The teacher gestured to Ann, "She's new, meaning that we're no longer odd numbers in the class! You two need to do the project together."

"What?" the kid asked, looking at Ann with disbelief before back at the teacher, "But we-"

"The deal was that you could do the projects alone because we were odd numbers. Now we're even, and I don't want two of my students to do work alone. This'll probably be of help for both of you," Miss Smith stated. The boy opened his mouth to complain, but the teacher spoke again, "I'm not going to change my mind, Sanches. Now start, it's due next week"

With this said, Miss Smith went back to her desk, leaving Ann alone. They looked at the kid, who looked back at them before he sighed

"Get yourself a chair," He told them, opening up the textbook, "And your notebook, along with your preferred writing utensil"

Ann blinked before they nodded, going over to grab one of the spare chairs from the back of the class and bringing it next to the desk. They then went back their own table, grabbed the science notebook along with their pencil case and came back, sitting on the chair, keeping the notebook in their lap, the pencil case in a corner of the table

"So, your name is Ann?" The boy asked, not looking at them.

"Yeah, could say so," Ann nodded. Their full name was Annabelle, which they hated. Not that Ann itself was much better, but it worked for now, "And you are... Sanches?"

"It's pronounced Sánchez," He said bitterly, "I don't know why it's so hard to pronounce for Smith. If she actually tried, then I'm sure she could get it right"

"Oh... Yeah, I get that," Ann nodded. Both their parents were Japanese in origin, but when they moved to the UESC, instead of being addressed with her birthname, their mother always introduced herself with am English name show chose for herself, as most people struggled to pronounce and write her real name. To avoid them having the same issue, she had settled for an English name when naming her child. Jokes on her; Ann hated it, "Sorry."

"It's alright," The boy shrugged, "It's just my surname anyways."

"What's your name then?" Ann asked. He hesitated a bit before answering

"Call me Logan," he said

"Like wolverine? From the X-Men?" Ann asked, a faint smile appearing on their face. Logan looked away, seemingly embarrased. Ann chuckled a bit, first time doing so inside these 4 walls of the so-called school, "I love those comics"

"Me too," Logan smiled back, turning towards Ann again, "How long have you been reading them?"

"Around a year? Maybe two? I'm not too sure," Ann admitted, "I started reading them because of my father he..."

The pair continued to talk about comics, the topic of conversation shifting over with time to superhero movies, their favourite characters, some complaints about changes between comic and film, inacuracies, etc. The last 20 minutes of the class was spent this way; discussing superheroes in fiction. 

Neither of them even realized how the class had finished until they saw everyone else leaving the room; they hadn't even decided a theme for the project.