He was even allowed to hold it, on the ride home.

Wen Qing wasn't sure what to make of Lan Zhan either.

When he'd asked if she had a car, she thought he wanted to be taken somewhere and that would be that.

It would be the end of his visit and then Wei WuXian could go back to his unexciting life, as dreary as it was necessary.

She did not expect to be traipsing around a grocery store with a sensible man, making healthy eating choices and being extremely generous about it. She'd warned him that he'd be paying for it and he had agreed immediately.

So...what was the catch?

Why didn't he simply go away? Why was he staying?

It wasn't like he was going to steal something from Wei WuXian...the apartment was threadbare at best and really, steal what?

And it was this problem she was stuck on.

She could not fathom why Lan Zhan was still there.

But she was in for an even bigger surprise.

Lan Zhan wouldn't let her carry any shopping inside, even telling A-Yuan that gentlemen never allowed it and then because of the dodgy lifts, walked up four flights of steps without breaking a sweat.

And then...she almost had to pinch herself now, because Lan Zhan had bought cleaning supplies.

And then he started cleaning.

He made sure that kitchen was spotless.

A-Yuan was fascinated by him.

Every time he asked a question, Lan Zhan would answer him calmly, patiently, while pausing whatever he was doing.

"What else do gentlemen do?" This, A-Yuan really wanted to know, because the Clever Gege seemed to be one.

"They look after people. They make sure everyone is alright."

"I wanna look after Baba." A-Yuan had said, after thinking about it. He trotted off to put the carrots inside the newly cleaned fridge, and missing the way Lan Zhan’s face had gone totally soft.

"Now what are you going to do?" The little boy asked him, full of excitement.

Lan Zhan thought it was uncanny how much his eyes resembled Wei Ying’s. The same bright curiosity shone from his soul, and Lan Zhan remembered that Wei Ying had called his son a rascal.

Perhaps bandit would be a better description because the little lad had stolen his heart and Lan Zhan hadn't even known it.

Right from under his nose.

"I'm going to cook." He explained, setting a saucepan on the scrubbed stove.

A-Yuan's eyes had widened in shock.

"Really?"

Lan Zhan was nodding, after he finished washing the rice.

He was too busy thinking about why he wasn't feeling hungry at all.

***********

Wei Ying was having an ordinary day at work.

It was ordinary because Su She was being a little shit as usual and finding fault with every thing Wei Ying did. He hadn’t hired a new cleaner yet, so Wei Ying had that to look forward to, too.

Joy.

His mind often strayed to Lan Zhan, his stomach doing flip-flops every time.

What were they doing at home? Were they safe? Had A-Qing killed Lan Zhan and that was why it was so quiet? Was no news really good news?