Unconsciously, Lan Zhan did exactly that but on his own lip and the moment the blood filled his mouth, he regained control.

Some control of himself.

He pushed back and out of Wei Ying's reach, hunting for the t-shirt again and then he quickly slipped it on.

Then he stood as far away from Wei Ying as he could, keeping a watchful eye on him.

He could already smell the surprise first, which wasn't that bad...just different...but then there was the hurt.

That was awful.

It smelled bad.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "It's for your own safety."

Wei Ying plastered on the brightest smile he could manage.

"Don't do that!" Lan Zhan reprimanded him sharply.

Wei Ying looked up at him...the smile leaving his face slowly.

"What?" He asks carefully.

"You were blaming yourself...when it was just as much my fault."

Wei Ying looks surprised.

"How...how can you tell what I'm feeling? You did that before too..."

"It's your blood. It changes with your feelings. Anything positive smells good...like that desire...it was the best thing I have ever smelled in my life. But just now...you were blaming yourself for me moving away...I moved because my control was in question." Lan Zhan explained himself as best as he was able to.

"And that would be a bad thing." Wei Ying whispered.

"A very bad thing." He agreed. Lan Zhan wrinkled his nose again...fear was the worst smell.

He refused to breathe it in...not when it came from the best person alive.

This was the most kindness Lan Zhan had ever experienced in his life. He was a stranger to Wei Ying but that never stopped him bringing Lan Zhan into his home and looking after him. Wei Ying had offered to cook too...and he had taken the day off his work.

"I will not harm you." He promised again.

"But Lan Zhan...you said it yourself...you couldn't control yourself..." Wei Ying didn’t want to feel afraid...but facts were facts.

"I will do better. I promise. Perhaps we can blame any lapse on my part...as being due to my inexperience at...at...this." Lan Zhan gestured vaguely at his body.

"Lapse...?" Wei Ying laughed, wetly. "Is that what we're going to call it?"

"Wei Ying!" He sounded tortured.

Wei Ying’s phone rang, an intrusive, loud noise, jarring their fragile peace.

He scrambled to pick it up.

"Wen Qing! Hi....how are you?" His voice cracked. Wei Ying got up and removed himself into the kitchen.

Lan Zhan did not have the heart to tell him that he could hear every thing they were saying.

Literally.

And that was yet another problem to deal with now.

But this...He did not seem to have a functioning heart.

*********

"Yes! I told you, he's awake now. No need for you to come here. He's fine." Too fine, Wei Ying thought to himself, rebelliously.

That was one fine specimen of...of...

"WEI WUXIAN, ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME?" She yelled.

Wei Ying was pretty sure his neighbours were listening to her too, let alone Lan Zhan just in the next room. These walls were thin...