Let's Hurt Tonight

Start from the beginning

"Is that all you think about?" she asked.

"When there's a beautiful woman standing in front of me, of course," he told her. "Actually, there is a reason I'm here. Mother sent me to ask you to join us for supper tonight." She blinked at him in shock.

"Your mother?" she repeated.

"Yes..." When he stepped toward her, she steeled herself, longing to back away. "Laena," his voice had gone soft, tender, even, and it made her heart hammer in her chest.

"What are you doing, Aegon?" she asked, swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat. She glanced around nervously, finally taking a step back.

"I'm not doing anything..." he murmured, reaching out to run his fingers through her hair.

"Stop it..." The words came out weak, hollow. She found she didn't really mean them at all. He stepped toward her again and her back knocked into the tree, effectively trapping her between them. "Aegon—"

"I've really have missed you, you know. Quite a lot, actually. You've really blossomed over the years, Laena..." Oh, gods... He was going to kiss her again. She pushed against his chest as he closed the small space between them.

"What are you doing?" she whispered, her knees shaking, "Should I remind you that you're married?"

"Mm, yes, Helaena is dreadfully dull..." His fingers ghosted down her cheek and the breath was pulled from her lungs.

"Leave her be, brother." The pair froze as Helaena interrupted, almost as if the Gods had heard them mentioning her and sent her to them. Aegon grimaced at his wife's soft voice and dropped his hand, letting out a long sigh of disappointment. Then he was gone and Laena's legs gave out. She wasn't a virgin, she knew all the mechanics of what Aegon wanted, but she had never felt like he made her feel; like Aemond made her feel. Being around them made her feel helpless, out of control, like her insides were on fire.

"Thank you," she breathed to her aunt.

"He's harmless, mostly." Helaena informed her. "It's when he's drunk that you want to steer clear of him. He can be quite awful."

"I don't understand what's happening to me. Why I feel so out of control here..." she muttered.

"It's the blood of the dragon," Helaena replied matter-of-factly. "It's stronger in you than in your brothers and it's stirring in their presence..."

"Whose?"

"My brothers... The coupling won't last long..." The what? Laena shook her head to clear it.

"But... Doesn't it bother you that—"

"What Aegon does, and who he spends his time with, doesn't bother me if it means he leaves me be," Helaena replied.

"But he's your husband..."

"Yes, and quite a terrible one," Helaena confessed. Laena's eyes widened at her aunt's admission and then they both broke into an awkward fit of giggles. She couldn't remember laughing with Helaena since they were children and, for a moment, it warmed her heart. And then her aunt helped her up from the ground and they walked together in comfortable silence...

"Ah, Laena, there you are dear." Queen Alicent greeted her when she finally joined them for supper. The Queen's eyes glanced over her dress and she noticed her back stiffen. Laena realized she was wearing Arryn colors, an unintentional insult on her part.

"My apologies for my attire, my queen, I was only informed a short while ago that I would be joining you. I would have dressed properly for the occasion." The Queen's eyes softened and she waved her hand dismissively.