023. A Song Of Return

Comenzar desde el principio

Aemma took a small step away from her mother as Rhaenyra placed her hand on her swollen belly. She wished to be able to say anything to help ease the pain her mother was feeling. But Aemma knew that the pain Rhaenyra felt was not even the beginning. 

"There is more," Rhaenys continued, moving closer, "Aegon has been crowned as his successor,"

Aemma glanced back at Daemon, the fire rising inside the rogue prince was almost too much to ignore. Only the sound of her mother's whimpers pulled her away. 

"They crowned him?" Rhaenyra asked, her eyes glassy. 

"How did Viserys die?" Daemon asked, coming to stand beside Rhaenyra. 

"I could not say,"

"How long ago?"

"A day passed, perhaps two. I was made a prisoner in my quarters while the Queen made her preparations," 

"Viserys has been slain," Daemon decided, his hand gripping Dark Sister. 

"Alicent demanded you declare for Aegon," Rhaenyra realised, her voice broken yet strong. 

"She did. I refused her,"

"And yet you are alive," Daemon questioned, finally turning to his daughter with angered eyes, "And how would they allow Rhaenyra her daughter back?"

Aemma's mouth parted, stepping towards her mother only to flinch back as Rhaenyra stepped back with a pained groan. 

"The High Septon crowned Aegon in the Dragonpit," Rhaenys explained, watching as Rhaenyra let out another pained groan, "I witnessed it myself just before I fled on Meleys. It was your daughter that helped me escape,"

"I was also imprisoned in my chambers, but Ae- a kingsguard, Ser Erryk, came for my rescue," Aemma explained, her heart becoming heavy at the thought of her husband. 

"They crowned him before the masses?"

"So that the masses would see him as their rightful king," Rhaenys said. 

"That whοre of a Queen murdered my brother and stole his throne. And you could have burned them all for it?" Daemon questioned the words seeping out of his clenched teeth. 

"A war is like to be fought over this treachery, to be sure, but that war is not mine to begin," Rhaenys said cooly, "I only rushed this warning to you out of loyalty to my husband and to my house. The Greens are coming for you, Rhaenyra. And for your children. You should leave Dragonstone at once."

Aemma watched as Rhaenys began to depart, gulping down any sorrow she felt for herself and her connections to her half-family. Glancing at the burning candles nearby, she tried to resolve herself to focus on her loyalty to her mother. 

Aemma began softly, her hand reaching towards Rhaenyra, "Mother-"

A pained whimper cut her off as Rhaenyra grabbed onto the painted table for support. Aemma moved towards her mother quickly, placing one hand on the Queen's elbow and one on her shoulder. 

"Mother-"

Rhaenyra clenched the table tightly, her knuckles turning white, before attempting to support her own pain. Rhaenyra hardly noticed Aemma by her side, gathering her dress and slipping her hand to feel for signs of an early delivery. Aemma gasped as Rhaenyra brought her hand out from under the dress. Blood was splattered on the Queen's hand. 

"The babe is coming,"

Despite the hollowness in Aemma's chest, she felt herself be pulled together out of duty to her mother. Straightening up, she turned quickly towards the nearby guards.

"Get the mid-wives and Maester, now!" Aemma commanded, her voice echoing off the stone walls, "There is a healthy baby waiting,"

Glancing around for any signs of support, she found herself begging for Rhaenys' guidance. Aemma was too young to help her mother. She had never given birth before, let alone carried a child. Rhaenys had experience Aemma could only wish for at a moment such as this. 

"You do not leave, not now," Aemma told Rhaenys, the pressure on her heart alleviating slightly when she received a solemn nod, "This damned war will wait until the Queen decides it can go forth,"

Authors note... 

Rhaenyra doesn't have time to hear about you marrying Aemond, Aemma! Aemmas gonna have to wait until her mother isn't bleeding.