The Night of Making Bets and Visitors at Work

Start from the beginning

"I can walk from here." I told him, beginning to walk in the other direction.

"Don't be silly Liz get in the car." He reached out and grabbed my arm. His hand was surprisingly warm. I liked the feeling. I groaned but followed him. I hop into his Audi and tell him my address.

We drove awkwardly in the car. The only sound was the hum of the car and the radio on a very low level. "So..." He finally broke the silence. "Um are you a fan?"

"Of yours? I guess. I mean your pretty good but I don't focus on individuals." I responded honestly. I felt kind of bad saying it to his face but he needed a little kill to his ego.

"That's a very wise statement. You have quite the leadership quality." He spoke very intelligently. It was like whenever he spoke he was answering in short answer responses on a test.

"I don't know if I would call it leadership quality. I would say I believe everybody contributes in some way, shape, or form." He turned the corner and parked the car. My building stood next to the car.

"Will I get to see you again?" He asked. Please don't ask me on a date. Please.

"Most likely. Chicago's not that big." I responded.

"Well I hope I see you around, Liz." He looked up at me with a smirk. Not a cocky smirk just one that said he was trying to flirt. I don't fall for that.

"Yeah well I'll be at your game next week so look out for me." I responded with a wink. Two can play at this game Toews.

"Oh yeah? Tell you what. If we win than I get to take you out for a nice dinner. If we lose...I'll let you decide." A bet? Hm interesting. I've been asked out many different ways and I was never one to turn down a bet.

"If you lose than you have to come to my bookstore and I get to choose the girliest book for you to read." I saw his eyes bulge out a little. He didn't strike me as the reading type that's why I wanted him to suffer. I wasn't one for cocky guys.

"Which one is your store? I've been meaning to get around to a nice book but I haven't found the time." This is where it starts. I've read this story before. He's gonna show up at my store and flirt with me and all that stuff. But this isn't a book.

"Looks like your just gonna have to find out 'Jonnyboy'" I put air quotes around his name as I turned on my heel and walked confidently into my building.

*********
Janie's face behind the counter at the store today was the last thing I wanted to see. Yet there she was with a smirk plastered on her face. "So, are you gonna tell me about where you disappeared to last night or what?"

After explaining to her what had happened she insisted that I go on the date with Jon if they won or not. "No, absolutely not."

"Liz! Everytime the game's on I hear you yelling his name. This is like your dream!" She was right. But I yelled everyone's name so I wouldn't say it was a personal thing.

"I'll think about it but for right now we need to open the store." I walked over to the sign that said closed and flipped it to open.

"Yay another day of business." I said sarcastically.

The day went smoothly. A good amount of customers came in today due to the fact that it was raining. My glasses sat on the edge of my nose while I skimmed the pages of a book that I didn't have a lot of interest in. Two hands covered my eyes. I elbowed the mystery person in the stomach and turned around only to find the one and only Jonathan Toews standing behind me hunched over and Patrick Kane laughing his ass off behind him.

"Do you know how many bookstores there are in Chicago? Geez I need some coffee." Kaner said after he finally collected himself from his laughing fit.

"What are you two doing here?" I snapped, eyes narrowing.

"We just came to visit our new friend at work!" Kaner replied. "But seriously though I need a coffee it's cold out there."

I got to my feet and walked over to the machine to make them both some coffee. They snuggled up to the fire and talked for a bit.

"So Liz I heard you and Jonny have a little bet going?" He said eyebrows twitching upward. "There's no way we are losing to the Bruins on home ice. Not happening."

"Well if you ask me I'd say it's about time they got their revenge from 2013." I replied with a smirk.

"Oh that's not going to happen because the whole team is set on winning this game."

"Geez, you're really pushing for this date, huh?" I turned to Jonathan. His face reddened.

"No I just, uh, don't like to lose, duh." He stuttered.

"Sure thing Jonny, sure thing." Pat and I responded.

I had the feeling this was the start of a fun friendship.