She huffed. "And no freedom".

"You have freedom" Jonah argued, "But as you're my only daughter and my line of work is dangerous? You need to have tabs kept on you - wouldn't want a potential threat of kidnap because that's what could happen". He now saw her face, "And for the record? Yes, that's been threatened before".

Montana was sure that he was bluffing. If there was anyone who posed as a risk then her father would either have killed them or she'd have been taken already.

"Whatever" She rolled her eyes, now messaging Mila so as she could come over. "Who are you meeting with this time?"

"Nomad and Ronin" Jonah said, knowing his daughter wouldn't know either of those names.

She snorted. "Who the hell calls themselves Nomad?"

"The man I'm doing business with - he and Ronin are notorious, came outta nowhere since the snap. No one really knows who they are, but they're skilled, got a lot of business to be had".

The car pulled up outside of their home and Montana got out, her father grabbed her wrist before she fully exited the vehicle and she looked back at him. "I'm serious Mon, if I strike a deal with these guys? We need to look sharp, because one slip up and it'll cost us".

"So why are you bothering if you know the risk?"

"Business is business. You know that".

She frowned. "Yeah? But is it worth dying for?"

"Some things are".

Letting go of her wrist, he closed the car door on them and it now slowly rolled away. Montana knew that one of these days, her father would reach too high and would fall because of his own making.

**

"Are you sure that it's a good idea meeting Kenley?" Clint Barton asked for the third time that morning. "We've already got a few of the Mexican cartel on our ass, we don't need one of the big shots joining them".

"We do this for a reason, remember?" Steve reminded his friend.

Even he had to admit that they'd gone deeper than expected with this, starting out to originally eradicate the people who didn't deserve to have survived the snap. Unfortunately for them, they'd had to turn to illegal trade themselves. It was the only way to ensure they lived, as well as made connections in all the right places. There were contacts that they could trust - and others they couldn't.

Jonah Kenley?

They would just have to find out exactly where they stood after their meeting. He was a powerful man, and possibly a potential target if Steve's senses told him correctly.

Steve's identity of 'Nomad' had been born back when he'd been on the run from the government. After the snap? It was only right to keep assuming the role, keeping the hair and beard so as not to reveal who he really was, as well as then going from a man who had been righteous and playing by the book, to one who was murdering the criminals in compensation to the ones who died. Children, men and women who had not needed to be lost. And yet people like Kenley and the Mexican Cartel had lived?

That had been Clint's justification, losing his family, and Steve had willingly joined him. He'd failed in his mission to right the wrong of the snap, so it had been time to do it in other ways.

He certainly wasn't the same guy who had come out of the ice all those years ago.

Their pace quickened as they approached the bar that would be their meeting place with Kenley, spotting the guards that had clearly been told to get into a position where they could watch them. One was on a roof, another lurking in the doorway of a building across the street.

Kenley didn't play games.

"Looks to be about five of them lurking, maybe more inside the building" Clint muttered, his face concealed under his hood.

"Just as well he won't be needing them then". Steve said, pushing the door to the bar open and both of them walking in.

It was deserted, with only a man, and two other men who stood behind him, sat at a table. "Jonah Kenley?" Steve now confirmed.

"Ah, Nomad and Ronin? Come, sit down - boys, get the men a drink".

"We're fine, thanks". Steve said, sitting himself across the table from the older man while Clint pulled up a chair, turning it around so as he could sit astride it. "Thanks for agreeing to do business".

Kenley nodded. "I understand you have some imported goods that may be on interest".

"Believe me we've got a lotta shit you'd be interested in". Steve sat back and crossed his arms. "What's your preference?"

"Usually weapons, but people want the stuff that's like gold dust. You know how hard it is to get decent meat nowadays? That Thanos guy didn't just kill half of the people, but animals and plants too - some plants have gone extinct because of it".

Clint rolled his eyes from under his hood. "We're aware..."

"If you guys have got the good stuff, then I'm interested".

Steve nodded eyeing the cigarette that was smouldering away between Kenley's lips. "What about cigarettes? Even they're becoming more hard to get a hold of. Had a shipment brought to me last week". 

"Now those? I will certainly do business for if they're once again of good quality. The amount of money I can make off those? People want them, it's pretty much a drug after all".

Digging into his jacket, Steve pulled out a new pack of  cigarettes and pushed them to Kenley. "Try them, they hit the spot".

Kenley studied the box, before opening it and pulling out one, turning it over and over. "Arlo, give me a light". He gestured to one of his men who passed him a lighter, the flame now igniting the end of the cigarette. Slowly, Kenley took a drag and puffed the smoke out. "Well...certainly been years since I've had anything like that - got yourself a deal for these".

"Good" Steve said, knowing that would have been the case anyway.

Kenley's eyes went to Ronin. "Your friend here doesn't say much..."

"He's not much of a talker, prefers making an example if anything". Steve told him casually, hoping to make a point that he wasn't to be messed with either.

There was a chuckle that escaped Jonah's lips. "I've heard about the kind of 'examples' you make. How can I be sure I won't be one of them?"

"Because if you were then you'd be bleeding out on the floor by now". Clint remarked dryly.

The corners of Kenley's lips began to tug at themselves, before turning into a small smile. "Well then I guess I should take that as a compliment".

"You should, we rarely give them". Clint now replied.

Steve decided it was time to round this meeting up. "So what will it be? We got a deal?"

"Based on what you've shown me? Sure, but I wanna see some of the meats and alcohol before I go closing on those".

"Then you'd best come by my office, I'll have some for you to see, but if you just want in on the cigarette distribution then that's fine". Steve told him, both men now standing up and shaking hands. "How does Monday sound?"

Kenley nodded. "midday, no later".

As soon as they were out away from the area, Clint smirked. "Well that was easier than I thought".

"Yeah, but we still need to keep tabs on him, he's the kind that could turn".

"I could sure use a drink later on".

"You read my mind Barton".

They may as well drink to the occasion. Any business transaction with someone like Kenley was considered a success.

"You thinking the same place as me? The Seven Aces?"

Steve nodded, knowing this was probably a perfect chance of finding their current target and at a stretch? Killing him.