9: Island of games and levels

I bought and used an old compass.

A red circle appeared around her and she jumped to the side. She raised her sword again to face the monster. She just managed to evade its ultimate. Her HP has been low yet she felt her energy building up. It was time for her ultimate again. If luck were on her side it would be enough to win this fight. When the bar above her head filled to the brim she jumped in the air and thrust her sword into the ground sending a burst of energy through the air. It hit the monster square in the chest and it writhed before falling to the ground and disappearing shortly after.

She desperately needed to level up. In order to do so she still needed to collect some of the soul crystals, get some energy and as soon as she reached level 300 she would buy herself a higher-level weapon. She started running across the plain. Never has the running felt easier. Here in the game, it required no effort at all and she was able to come to any place with ease. She took a look around as she raced through the woods. As soon as she was thrust into the game she assumed the name, Meara. In time she lost track of time. The game was timeless and she often wondered how much time has passed in real life. It could be days or it could be years. The only way to escape was to defeat the final boss. After what felt forever she was finally in the last stages.

Her eyes brightened when she caught sight of a cave in the distance. It was finally time to collect the last soul crystals. She stopped before the entrance and carefully stepped inside. It was breathtaking as usual with countless crystals illuminating it. In the middle was a lake of countless colours blending together and behind it on an enormous throne was sitting a red-headed woman. She was propping her head with her hand, looking very bored. She smiled at the sight of Meara.

"Meara! Wasn't expecting to see you so soon!"

Meara smiled back. "Persephone! Well, I have been working hard. I only need three soul crystals for the maximum ascension."

Persephone nodded and tapped her fingers on her armrest.

"Have you got the scrolls?"

Meara nodded and pulled the scrolls from her bag.

Persephone motioned with her hand. "Go ahead."

Meara stepped forward and tossed the scrolls into the lake. They disappeared under the surface and soon after a slight bubbling followed. Four colourful crystals glided out of the lake, floating above it. When Persephone mentioned with her hand they floated towards Meara. As soon as they reached her she put them in her bag. She only needed three but she may exchange the excessive one in the market. Speaking of which it was time to visit it. She waved Persephone goodbye and started sprinting towards the market. She admired the view on the way. The nature of this game was simply incredible. She stopped when she noticed a group of other players fighting a dragon. It was a bonus stage giving out great rewards and the monster was no match for her.

After she finished it with ease, her bag a little more full she continued her way. She neared the stand ahead and when she entered the area more of the stands appeared. They were bustling with other players. She looked around for a stand with a blue bottle and when she found it she made her way to it. There were many differently-sized bottles displayed and she leaned forward to read the numbers on them. 50k, 100k... 1m...

"I want this one." She pointed towards the biggest one at the end of the table.

The little man behind the counter nodded.

"That will be 1m of gold."

Meara browsed through her bag, taking out gold coins of different sizes. The man started counting them.

"100k more," he informed her.

She took out the last coin and handed it to the vendor.

"That is enough, enjoy your purchase." He handed the bottle to Meara.

The blue substance inside glistened in the virtual sun and she carefully uncorked it. It floated out of its glass prison, swirling around her for a moment as if happy to be free before it disappeared inside her. She felt a burst of energy as she looked above her head, observing how the number 299 changed into 300. She has finally reached the maximum level.

The only thing left now was her weapon. The current one has reached its maximum level and she has been saving both diamonds to buy a higher-level one as well as runes to awaken it.

She made her way toward the weapon stand. An elegant weapon was laying on the table. It looked similar to her current sword only was it bigger, brandishing a lot more embellishment on its hilt. It was glistening in the light as an enormous jewel and above it was the number 300.

"3000 gems and level 300," an elegant lady told her.

Meara took a few gem pieces out of her bag and handed them to the vendor together with her old sword.

The lady nodded and handed her her new weapon.

"The runes on the old one will transfer to the new, although in order to awaken it you will need a few more."

"Thank you."

Meara took the sword in her hands and looked at it in awe. It was one of the most beautiful weapons she had ever seen and it wasn't even awakened yet. It was a pity she couldn't take it back home.

She came to a stop and opened her bag again. She waved her hand and runes came floating out of it. They glided through the air and started circling around the sword. It floated out of her hand and gently swayed in the air while runes circled around it faster and faster until there was a blinding light.

A purple mist started floating around the blade which was now a deep red colour and she could feel the power it emanated.

It was time for the final battle.