Chapter 13: Day Out

Start from the beginning

Gwen:
I'm not ignoring you

Gwen:
Maybe give me more than two seconds to answer 

Em Jay:
Whatever just get your butt outside

Gwen:
Fine I'll be out in 5

Gwen shut off her phone with another sigh shoving it into the pocket of her white hoodie and stuck her history textbook back in her backpack. She slung the bag over her shoulder and made her way out of her bedroom and down the stairs of her house.

Did Gwen forget to mention that she and Em Jay lived three houses down from each other? They had become closer over the last year had started a tradition of walking to school together every morning.

After making her way down the steps and entering the living room Gwen found her dad passed out on the couch. His face illuminated by the light of the TV which had been turned down the lowest volume and displayed the Fox News. He still had his full police uniform on and his cap was tipped down slightly, nearly covering his eyes. She could barely see his short brown hair that he was already starting to lose from the stress of his job.

She placed a hand on his shoulder, bent down, and planted a soft kiss on his cheek. He worked so hard- too hard. Gwen wished there was something she could do for him.

That was honestly one of the reason's why she dawned the Spider-woman persona. Gwen knew that she could help, so it was her responsibility to do so. The more dangerous people she got off the streets, the less her Dad would have to deal with. Plus, it minimized the chance of one of those crooks hurting him... or worse.

"I love you, Dad," she spoke softly, knowing well the man wouldn't hear her.

She then turned on her heals and readjusted her bag straps before making her way through the kitchen and grabbing the brown paper bag off the counter and heading toward the front door. As soon as she opened it her face blanked.

There was Em Jay leaning against a brand new, red BMW that was parked along the curb. It's metal shone brightly in the sunlight and the black leather seats on the inside looked fresh as ever. Etched onto the redhead's face was a wide grin that made her eyes look small.

"Your joking!" Gwen gawked as she made her way down to admire the car.

"Nope," the redhead responded her voice cheerful, "Just passed my test yesterday."

"Seriously?" Gwen whispered in awe, not just on the fact that her parents got her a car that fast, but also over the fact that she even passed her drivers test.

"Yep, fifth times the charm."

Gwen blinked twice to get her bearings about, then shook her head, "I'm not getting in there with you."

Em Jay's jaw dropped at her comment. "Come on, Stacy," She whined, "I'm not that bad. I passed, didn't I?"

I all honestly Gwen wouldn't have been surprised if Em Jay's wealthy parents had paid off the driver.

"I guess that sounds kinda mean, but... this is the same Em Jay that drove into a tree during her first drivers test."

"Hey," Em Jay persisted, "It beats walking."