The Vanishing of Will Byers

Start from the beginning

Five more minutes.

It continues to beep, loudly, making me groan.

Just shut up!

Suddenly, my alarm stops beeping. I take my pillow off of my face and look over at it. My eyes widen at the sight. My alarm is nothing but tiny pieces. I sit up reach over to pick up a piece.

"What the f-" I whisper to myself.

"Dani!" Dustin shouts from the other side of my door, scaring me.. "Mom says it's time to get up!"

"I'm up!" I yell back and set the piece of my alarm back down on my nightstand before getting out of bed.

**

As I walk through the school hallway, I spot Nancy walking along side Barb.

"Hey, guys! Wait up!" I say as I run past other students to catch them.

"Hey." I say when I finally reach them.

"Hey, Dani." They both greet me.

"So? Did he call?" Barb asks Nancy.

"Keep your voice down." Nancy scolds Barb.

"Who, Steve?" I question and Barb nods her head at me excitedly.

"Did he?" Barb then whispers to Nancy.

"I told you, it's not like that. Okay, I mean yes, he likes me, but not like that."

"We just... made out a couple times." Nancy says.

"Nancy's got a boyfriend." I tease her lightly, hiding my sliver of jealousy.

"He's not my boyfriend." She shyly says back as we stop at our lockers.

"Nance seriously, you're gonna be so cool now, it's ridiculous." Barb says.

"No, I'm not." Nancy smiles back at her.

"You better still hang out with us, that's all I'm saying."

"If you become friends with Tommy H. or Carol-" I say as I open my locker, throwing my bag inside.

"-Oh, that's gross!" She cuts me off as she opens her locker. "Okay, I'm telling you guys, it was a one-time..."

Barb and I give her a look.

"Two-time thing." Nancy smiles.

As if on cue, and note falls out of her locker. I grab my folder for my first period art class and shut my locker.

"You were saying?" I smirk.

**

I make my way through the hallway to art, when I suddenly feel a tap on my right shoulder. I turn my head to the right to see no one there, so I look to the left and see Eddie Munson. He sits next to me in art and is one of the few people that actually acknowledges my existence.

"Hey, weirdo." He smiles at me.

"Hey, freak." I smile back.

"How are you on this shitty morning at Hawkins High?"

"Oh you know, just living it up." I say sarcastically.

"Well, well, well. Eddie "The Freak" Munson is walking Danielle "The Weirdo" Henderson to class. Isn't that sweet." I hear a whiny voice say from behind us.

We both look over our shoulders behind us and see that it's Carol. 

"Just ignore her." Eddie says to me, putting a comforting hand on my back to keep me walking.