I lit the cigarette and take one drag - followed with some light coughs.

"So-"
"Usually when someone doesn't acknowledge your presence, it means that they don't want to fucking talk." He says before I can even get two words out. He doesn't say it in a harsh tone but rather straight forward, simple.
"I'd almost think that you'd want to greet the people that are hosting the party you're at." I say back.

He lifts his head up and turns around to look at me. That's when I see familiar blue eyes and glasses, the wicked one.

"So, you're the spoiled brat my brother is marrying?" He says, almost in a laugh but not one carrying any humor. I notice quickly how red his eyes are.
"Excuse me? I'm not a spoiled brat-"
"Spoiled brat, and a liar - Pablo got himself a good one."

Seems like this whole damn family contains of assholes.

"I see why they call you the wicked one." I mutter, taking another drag of the cigarette.
"Better that then spoiled entitled brat with a bitchy attitude, who has nothing going for her other than her daddy's money"
"What the hell is your problem?" I snap, this time letting his comment get to me.
"Mine? Nothing, I'm just telling you what they call you since you so gladly wanted to point out what they call me."

I turn silent, unsure of how to answer that. My eyes trail down on his face, and now that the light from the building is shining towards him, I see the bruise on his cheekbone. His suit is also messy, and there's red spots on his sleeves.

"If you're having a bad day then that's fine, but don't take it out on someone else." I scoff,
"You're telling me spoiled little girls who live in their daddys mansion have never done anything like that before? Your maids don't get extra work when you're in a bad mood?"
"Stop talking to me like you know me, you don't." I spit, getting fed up by his attitude.
"Enlighten me then princess, what is there to know about you? Other than the things I've already mentioned, what makes Bella Lyon so damn special?"

I open my mouth to tell him off, but nothing comes out. There isn't much to say, because he's right - I don't have much that makes me different from what he just mentioned but that isn't my fault. I wanted to study, I wanted to go to college and I wanted to work and make a name for myself but I couldn't.. It wasn't my choice.

"What is your issue with me? We've never talked before; I've only met you once." And he was talking to Landon the whole time.
"My issue?" He laughs, "my issue is that you came out of nowhere and now it's like my brother is in another damn world, and I don't exist on it." What?
"Neither me or Pablo initiated this, your leader decided to push my father into agreeing!"

He exhales the smoke and lets out a snarl.
"If that makes you sleep at night."
"It doesn't, but you know what does? Satin sheets and pillows with real feathers in them, so screw you."

If he's so damn sure that I'm a spoiled brat, then that's the only version he's going to get - just like everyone else.

He laughs, this time it's contains some messed up humor in it.
"At least you're not too far up your own ass to let out a curse word or two."
"If you tell anyone that I cursed or smoked, I might have to murder you." I mutter back, he looks at me with raised brows causing me to roll my eyes, "Pay someone to murder you - I got a manicure yesterday, wouldn't risk getting my hands dirty."

He smiles, and so do I - He is indeed an asshole, and he's rude but at least he's straightforward about it and unlike the other men in the underworld he doesn't try to butter me up with nice words only to strike when it benefits him.

I'd prefer this over the fake gentlemen act, at least I know that I'm right to be cruel back and won't need to second guess myself afterwards.

He lets out a deep breath,
"I never thought I'd be in a dark alley, smoking cigarettes and having my brother's fiancé tell me to screw myself at his engagement party."
I let out a half laugh, "Do you always say exactly what's on your mind?"

I don't know if my question did it, or something else but something in his eyes changed.

"I do," his eyes darken.
"Because when you don't, they use your silence as a weakness, and all the words you weren't capable of saying will be pointed at you like a weapon disguised as a shitty excuse for what they do to you."

All the words you weren't capable of saying will be pointed at you like a weapon.
They use your silence as weakness.

"Who?" I ask, wondering where his mind trailed off. Before he has the chance to answer the door slams open, and a fuming Pablo comes out like he's just been through an entire battle.

"Where the hell were you! I've been searching for you everywhere, I got worri-" He stops mid-sentence when his eyes land on the figure next to me, "Luca?" his eyes soften and his demeanor changes as his guard falls down.

I throw the cigarette away immediately, "I was just getting some fresh air and got carried away."
"It's fine, just go inside." Pablo answers quickly, his eyes are on his brothers knuckles.
"Bu-"
"Go inside Bella, I'll come get you in a few minutes."

Luca stands up and throws his cigarette on the floor then stomps on it. He looks past his brother and at me, with a small smile,
"Thanks for the talk, maybe I was wrong about you." He throws me a wink and turns around to walk away.

Pablo rushes and grabs his arm,
"Wait - you came, I didn't know you were here."
Luca stops for a moment, "I wouldn't have missed your engagement, mi hermano."
"Come in, you ca-"
"I can't." Luca cuts off immediately, looking away.
"I'll ask them to leave, just stay - I don't want you to go."

Ask who to leave?

I really should be going inside and not eavesdropping, but this feels so genuine and seeing the way they communicate - the way Pablo is talking to his brother, and how much he wants him to stay, it makes me wish I had that from the people I should've received it from.

Someone caring about what you do, protecting you like that. I don't know who they're talking about but it's obvious that Pablo is ready to do whatever it takes for his brother to feel better.

Luca turns around again, and heads towards a blue Mclaren that's parked next to the car we came in.

"Don't leave like this Luca, it's not fair when you know that I can't follow."
"And who's fault is that?" Luca snaps turning around, "Mine, it's my fucking fault. I'm the reason you can't get behind that damn wheel! Just go back in there, don't let me ruin more than I already have."
"Wait-"

The door slams shut, and the car speeds off leaving Pablo looking completely helpless like I haven't seen him before - the perfect prince charming mask is off.

"Why can't you follow him? I can get the the car keys."
He turns back and lets out a deep breath, then he opens his eyes, and the mask is on again. "When I say go inside, you go inside Bella."

He charges towards me and grabs my wrist.
"This is the last damn time you go anywhere without talking to me first."
"You're not my father! Stop trying to control me."
"You're damn right I'm not your father!" he slams his palm against the wall, "because not even your fucking father feels this crazy when he doesn't have you by his side or anywhere in his sight, and your father sure as hell does not search the entire damn building for you like a maniac because you disappeared for five minutes."

Why does he care so damn much? Is he afraid that his soon to be trophy wife is going to tarnish his reputation by disappearing for a second? Even better, he's probably the type that likes to keep his future wife under check and control her every move to make sure she doesn't look another man's direction while he does as he pleases with every girl that catches his eye.

I don't say anything, I just swallow down every response and convince myself that this will all be over soon. Either he'll be far gone by the end of our first week as husband and wife or I will.

"Let's go." He speaks, now with a softer and more controlled tone which makes me want to roll my eyes, now he wants to play gentleman again like he regretted snapping at me.

He grabs my hand and turns me around, and heads towards the door.

Right before we enter, something in the corner catches my eye though. Something in the dark, a figure.
The figure steps in the light out just as we're about to go in, it's a woman. How long has she been standing there?

A tall woman with short dark hair, she smiles at me and then - then she waves?