f o u r

Before his second year in college started, Taehyung and Jimin decided to rent an apartment near the university because the dorm is too small and inconvenient for the both of them.

And so they settled in, unpacked their stuff, and started to get used to living in a bigger space albeit a little far away from their classes.

The second year starts smoothly, a little more workload than before, but still manageable – especially since Taehyung doesn't have anything else to worry about other than himself.

Taehyung chose to busy himself with his studies, attempting to just mind his own business and stop being curious about how Yoongi is. Because when Taehyung isn't busy and just lying on his bed with empty thoughts, he'd start to wonder, and that's not safe.

He'd start to wonder how Yoongi is doing after the break up. Where is Yoongi staying? Does he have other friends to talk to? Is he doing okay? Is he happy?

And at times like this when his mind is filled with so much questions about Yoongi, he'll remember that time in the restroom, remember the look on Yoongi's face when Taehyung practically called him disgusting, remember the way his heart broke into even smaller pieces when Yoongi just smiled and accepted Taehyung's words, not fighting back against the provocation the way Taehyung expected.

And the guilt is enough to make Taehyung hide every time Yoongi would accidentally cross his way. He doesn't want to remember hurting the person he cares about the most. Because after all this time, all he wants is for Yoongi to be safe and happy.

But Taehyung is a coward.

He still can't do anything.

"Taetae! Get some ice cream for me!" Jimin yells just as Taehyung pushes himself through the front door, on his way to the grocery store because their lack of food in the apartment is quite alarming.

"Pay me back later!" Taehyung yells before closing the door behind him and breathing in the fresh air in that afternoon. It's definitely so much better than the horrible smell inside the apartment when Jimin refuses to clean up after his own mess.

Taehyung opens his eyes after a deep exhale, only for his relaxation to completely go away as soon as his eyes land on very familiar ones.

It's Yoongi, wrapped in the arm of another man – the man Taehyung could recognize as his rich neighbor who paid for the full payment of the apartment in cash, and owns the huge red car parked just outside.

Yoongi is staring back at him as the man – his lover this time? – unlocks the door and pulls him in.

Taehyung blinks as the closed door of his neighbor greets his sight, and he's sure – so damn sure that he wasn't hallucinating. That was Yoongi.

Why the fuck can't Taehyung get a break until now?

"I can't believe we'd end up living next to Min Yoongi's new boyfriend," Jimin mumbles with a spoon in his mouth as he focuses his eyes on the television, ice cream tub propped on the pillow above his lap. Taehyung is just staring blankly at the television without understanding a single thing that's happening in the show.

"Do you think they're fucking right now?" Jimin asks with a giggle, completely clueless about what's going on in Taehyung's head.

Taehyung didn't answer the question.