Chapter One

"Are you sure you have everything, hon? I can run back home and pick it up for you if not.."

"Mum, I promise I'm all set," Wyatt assured the worried woman with a soft smile, placing his hands on her small shoulders. "You don't need to worry so much, I promise."

She sniffled and wiped her wet eyes. "You're right. You're my big boy," her voice wavered and choked.

Wyatt only smiled at the endearing and loving woman, pulling her into his large frame, wrapping his arms around her in a suffocating hug. She hugged him back and rubbed his shoulder out of pure habit, soaking in the comfort and absolute warmth her son gave off.

Wyatt loved his mum with his whole heart. With his father being out of the picture, the two were forced to grow close together though it wasn't like either one of them were complaining. He supported the kind woman as much as he possibly could all throughout his life and she did the same for him. In a way, they were best friends with a huge age gap.

"Stay safe, Wy. And if you need condoms you know where to find them," she chuckled into his shirt before pulling away completely.

"Mum!" Wyatt exclaimed with a betrayed look on his face. So embarrassing.

She fed him a pointed look. "I don't want anyone pregnant and I don't want you catching any nasty diseases. You should know this by now."

"I know! We're just in public," he gestured to their surroundings with wide arms.

Around them walked people, students, making their way into the university. Of course, along with parents and guardians standing on the sidelines much like his own mother.

"Like you actually care," she rolled her eyes and smoothed out his black shirt. He scoffed in response but didn't reply.

"Remember to call me, okay?" She stood on her tiptoes and pressed a kiss to his warm cheek. "I'm always here for you, baby."

"I know, mum," he let a smile cross his face again, "The same goes for you."

"Of course," she replied simply and took a step back. "Thank you, hon. I'll see you during your next holiday. I love you."

Wyatt hummed with a nod. "Yeah. See you, mum. I love you."

He watched as the small woman turned around after giving him a proud smile and hopped into her car. She started it up and with one final wave through the windshield, drove away down the road.

Spinning around on the balls of his feet, Wyatt finally faced his new school with a determined look plastered onto his face.

He made his way towards it, dodging the sea of people as they stood on the footpath like they were barricades on a road attempting to stop anyone from passing any further.

"Your mum is one fine lady," was said into his ear followed by an arm wrapping around his shoulder.

Startled, Wyatt flung his head towards the offending person only to smile and let out a loud squeal with no concern for the people around him.

"I missed you, baby," Wyatt wrapped his arms around his shorter friend's waist and picked him up without much effort, spinning them around in circles until they got dizzy.

"Aww. I missed you as well, sugar," his friend, Josh, exclaimed with a gleeful smile, clutching onto Wyatt's shirt for dear life.

Placing his friend flat on the ground as if he was some toy, he wrapped an arm around Josh's shoulder loosely and guided them towards their university.

"How have you been, Joshy poo?" Wyatt nudged his friend with a carefree smile.

"I've been alright, Wy. I missed you and the guys like crazy. How about you?"