Coffee bean

The sweet scents and warm ambiance of the Dark Bean coffee shop had begun to cure my foggy brain. I spent countless hours hunched over my desk cramming for the first midterm of the semester. Ivette somehow managed to tear be for my hell when I was so daze, I couldn't understand the material. My entire body thanked the goddess sitting across from me while it sunk into the foam of the booth.

My parents worked themselves to the ground to assure I had the best education. An opportunity they never had; I was beyond grateful. I devoted my entire being to prove to them I wasn't taking it for granted. They were relieved when I got accepted into Red Dawn University's undergrad law program.

I'm utterly exhausted.

This third year is drowning me and pulling me under. I could feel myself burning out and the worst part was that I didn't even want to pursue a career in Law. I'm an artist, that was my passion, but the proud look on both my parents faces fueled me to continue, I didn't have the heart to disappoint them after everything they've done for me.

"I didn't just bring you here for coffee." Ivette chipped and a red smile etched into her lips. I cautiously pull myself up, curiosity driving.

"I'm so proud of you." Ivette starts and plucks a gift bag I hadn't noticed in my delirium, onto the black the table. I didn't have the effort to fight her on it and gave her an unamused glance.

Reluctantly I reached for the lavender bag, her eyes are bright and full of anticipation. I peak inside once I collect it into my lap, a white apple box taunts be within. I sigh and slide the bag back onto the table. "I love you Ivette, but your words are enough of me."

She slides the bag back in front of me, "I know you don't like my extravagant gifts but please take this one. Let me replace your ten-year-old laptop. You deserve it." Her words are soft, and I felt every word she said.

"It's too much."

"No. It's not enough."

Over the years we've been friends Ivette has tried gifting me with various expensive presents. There was no way I could possibly return the favour and usually decline it. Sure, she's told me multiple times a gift isn't an exchangeable favour, but I can't help but feel indebted to her like I do with my parents. Ivette understands the way I feel and takes them back with no questions asked.

There was something about the pleading in her eyes that possessed me to take the bag, "well, god I didn't think I'd ever see the day Aurora Peshlakai willing accepted a gift."

"Don't ruin the moment." I tease.

My attention got caught by a figure approaching in my peripheral, the barista. He's tall and broad, wearing a rich brown apron atop black clothing. His complexion is dark, and his hair is a course black heap of tight curls. The iced beverage I ordered seven minutes ago rests in his hand in all it's legendary glory.

Dark Bean had the best Iced caramel lattes that would have me crawling on my knees for another. It was the perfect combination of sweet sugary goodness and the bitter depths of strong caffeine.

A grin crawled onto his lips, noticing my gaze lingering a little too long. Tray as his name tag had stated read my interest wrong, and even though he's easy on the eyes my only desire was that caramel heaven.

He kept his gaze on me, replacing my already empty coffee with the fresh one. "Iced salted caramel latte, extra drizzle and two shots of expresso." He stated,

"Thank you." I say sheepishly.

Was it really necessary to speak my customized order?

He transferred his attention to my Latina best friend, "It there anything I can get you?" His tone is polite and eager to please. She sneaks a glance at me giving me a knowing look.