💫 Carter Cullen

CARTER

Loosening my tie a little, I lean back on my chair gazing at the different magazines and newspapers which were sprawled out on my table.

Obviously I made into headlines again!
The scoff rambling my eyes over the fascinating names and captions.

Heartless CEO!
Billionaire with rudeness at Pinnacle.
Billionaire Playboy — CC.

I have been entitled with all these names because, one — I'm quite strict when it comes to work and second — I get snapped with random women's every other day.

And honestly it's true I'm heartless, I don't understand the need of emotions at every place be it work or relationship.

My phone started ringing breaking my revirie of thoughts.
"Mother" I exhale, once I pick the call.

"Carter, we are waiting for you. Why haven't you reached home yet." Mom complains over phone making me shake my head.

"I told you not wait for me."

"Carter, we are done with this discussion. You are going to meet your childhood friend Mila and her family today." Mom replied with no - nonsense tone.

"First — I don't remember any friend from childhood apart from Emma and second — for the last time Mom, I'm not interested in getting married to any of your friend's daughter." I sigh raking finger through my messed up hair.

Mom has been trying to set me up with her friend's daughters for quite some time now, reason being my reputation when it comes to girls. None of my girlfriends last for more than a month.

According to my parents if I get married my image will be polished and I will look responsible. I own only a part of CULLEN CORP. Hotel chains while Dad is handling rest. So if I want Dad to handover his entire Empire to me, I should get married.
When I questioned Dad why, his answer was straight. He didn't want to handover his entire wealth to someone who isn't serious about his life.

"Stop fussing Carter and don't you dare take Emma's name in front of Mila Herrington." Mom warned.

"I'm not ready for another drama Mom." Every time I visit a girl with my parents, she turns out to be worse than the previous one. I'm not speaking about looks, it's about how they carry themselves and how they speak to me.

"Carter you need to understand. It isn't only about you getting married anymore. It's about the entire CULLEN EMPIRE which rightfully belongs to you."

Mom hit the right nerve. Even though dad has built this company, I have worked very hard to be in the position where I am. I have spent countless of sleepless nights in the previous four years to bring the company to this heights.

Huffing I close my eyes shut. "Mom I have something serious to discuss with you and Dad. I'm coming home." With that I disconnected the call.

While I was driving back home, the only person I was thinking about was Emma. How easy everything would have been if she was here with me.

●○Flash back●○

Emma and I did our schooling in the same school, we were friends but not close friends.

She also came from an elite family background. Right after school she went abroad to pursue higher education.

I had a tiny little crush on her back in the school.

Two years back, there was a huge auction ceremony and since I had my eyes on a particular land, I attended it with Dad.

There was still some time before the ceremony could start so I retrieved my phone and started going through the emails when a particular sweet voice made me hoist my head and look at the person behind the voice.

In front of me stood Emma grinning ear to ear. She had come along with her Dad. Our Dad's excused themselves to discuss something leaving me alone with Emma.

While we were in school, I wanted to tell her about my feelings and ask her out but for some unfortunate reason I couldn't muster enough courage. But today seeing her in front of me, I felt like it's destiny pushing us together so after talking to her for a few minutes, I finally asked her out and to my surprise she said yes without second thought.

We went out on dinner the next day and we clicked. Our thoughts and priorities matched like a puzzle. She was like a female version of me when it came to work.

After getting to know her for another two weeks which included multiple dates and dinner with family, I was assured that she was the best match for me.

"Emma?" I cleared my throat seizing her attention.

"Yes?" She asked whilst sipping the cold coffee.

"What would you say if I ask you to be my girlfriend?" I questioned directly.

"Uh—" She blinked her eyes and continued "You are a great guy Carter. You definitely tick all the qualities I look for in my boyfriend. You know what to priorities and what to ignore. It's just —" she trailed off tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I'm bad at maintaining a long distance relationship. As you know I'll be going back tomorrow and it may take another 2 to 3 years for me to come back. I don't want the both of us to feel pressurized about our relationship and maybe miss a chance to find our ideal ones."

And that was the reaction why I am attracted to Emma. She isn't emotional fool instead she thinks practically.

"I understand and that's why I'm ready to wait. You go back to your life and I go back to mine but when you come back if you don't have anyone in your life then you can be my girlfriend." I proposed knowing she would definitely say yes.

Her lips curled up. "Fine..."

Few weeks after Emma left we used to facetime each other everyday. Then days passed and both of us got busy in our lives.

But Emma did ask me to wait for her. She promised she'll be back for US.

With that hope I have been waiting for her from the past 2 years. I've called her a few times but she seems busy handling multiple projects.

❤...