Beautiful Flowers

"You want to go out with me?" Y/N was shocked, to say the least. James was hung up on Lily, everyone knew that. So when he came up to her during her free period she was caught off guard entirely. "I mean I would like to take you out if that's alright," James smirked as she shyly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Yeah- yes. Yes, that's alright." He smiled and stood up, "Great! I'll see you on Saturday!"

~

Y/N looked around for the third time, still waiting for James to show up. She sighed, standing up and pushing her chair in, ready to go until she saw James stumble through the door and wave frantically. "I'm here! Sorry, I'm late..." He sat down and Y/N lowered herself back down to her seat. "Padfoot wanted to go to Zonkos and we got caught up." She smiled and tried to hide her disappointment, "Oh, it's fine!" James smiled and looked around for a minute before he stood up, "Would you like me to get us some butterbeer?" "Yes please, thank you."

After half an hour of talking about classes and the Marauders' new pranks James slowly zoned out once a certain redhead walked in with her friends. It took a moment for Y/N to notice that he was staring at something behind her and when she turned around to see Lily she thought her heart might actually have a crack. She looked back at James and sighed, "James?" He hummed and quickly looked back at her. "I think I'll be heading back now." He nodded and threw a quick glance back to Lily, "Oh, alright."

Y/N felt tears prickle at the back of her eyes as she walked out of the Three Broomsticks, James not glancing her way once more.

~

As she walked back to the castle she finally let the tears fall. She knew she shouldn't have gotten her hopes up when he asked her out. It was probably a prank or a dare. He was in love with Lily, how could she think otherwise? But then she felt the heartache was real. How could it not be? She's had the biggest crush on him since second year. Three years of feelings building and building only to come crumbling down. She shouldn't be surprised, and she knew that. James only had eyes for beautiful flowers.