Chapter 12: Hitching a Ride

Start from the beginning

(Y/n) wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tight. "I'm sorry, Jacob. I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's alright love. I'm just glad you're alive." He sighed. "But don't you ever scare me like that again. Promise me." He demanded lightly.

(Y/n) nodded. "I promise Jacob."

Jacob kissed her forehead. "Good."

The two stayed in each other's embrace for a moment longer, before Maisie spoke up.

"Um...sorry to interrupt, but we have a little bit of a problem." She announced.

Jacob and (Y/n) pulled away and saw that there was a hole in the bottom of the boat, and water was seeping in.

"We gotta go back." Jacob said.

Maisie looked at the distance between them and the island. "We'll never make it!" She cried.

"Depends on how fast you can bail." Jacob tossed her a bucket. "(Y/n), help me row."

(Y/n) nodded, and she and Jacob each held an oar and began rowing, while Maisie started scooping out water.

"Maybe Red can take us." Maisie suggested.

"Back to the island?" Jacob asked.

"No, back home."

"You have really lost it." Jacob grunted.

"It's not impossible, Jacob. She did save us from that giant crab thing." (Y/n) chimed in.

"Wait...she...are you...I think I did the saving, right? I mean, didn't you see me throw the spear? I'd call that pretty heroic, wouldn't you say?" Jacob whined.

"Well, I don't know if it was heroic or not. I was kinda busy drowning." (Y/n) reminded him.

"Uh...well...it was heroic..." Jacob mumbled.

(Y/n) patted his shoulder. "I'm sure it was Jacob."

"Just-Just keep rowing! And Maisie keep bailing! There's water coming in!" Jacob grumbled, and continued rowing.

Instead of bailing, Maisie threw the bucket to the side, stood up on the boat, and turned to face Red who had her back to them.

"Hey! Red!" She called.

Red turned around to look at her.

"See this little guy?" Maisie picked up Blue and held him up. "This is you."

"You're wasting your time."

Maisie ignored Jacob and held up pieces of fruit. "And this is me, and these are them."

"Are you putting on a puppet show? We're sinking here." Jacob complained.

"Jacob, just let her try." (Y/n) scolded.

"We need to get way over there." Maisie pointed out to sea. "And I wonder if you might be good enough to take us?"