Chapter 13: Trying to Change

"Can I come in at least?" He asks with his head looking down defeated.

I let him in but lean against the wall as I shut the door "I thought you faced your demons about me Jake" I say as my lip quivers as I'm about to cry.

He comes closer to me "don't you dare!" Yells Jessy.

"When I'm not freelancing for cyber security companies I still need to bring in some income," he says with a sigh. "So I started a business to help men who think their woman is cheating. I have my phone on recording it all. They are 100% aware that I will lay it on thick to make sure." He says he looks in my eyes.

"Say exactly what you want to Jake " I say, uncrossing my arms.

"Morgan, I would never hurt you intentionally. I took on these before Friday night. I actually stopped taking clients and looking for something else more stable for a future with you" he says with a defeated look in his eyes.

"Show me proof" I say, stepping closer to him.

He pulls out his phone and shows the texts, the emails, and pulls ups recodings.

"MC, he could fake it" Jessy states.

"Damn it Jessica! I just want to be with her! I'm trying to show her I'm still the same Jake she fell in love with all those years ago. The same Jake that when she introduced me to her parents she had a glow to her where I knew she adored me with every ounce of her heart. I'm not trying to hurt her. I'm just trying to fix my life. If I knew Friday when I walked into my mom's house after three years that I would have seen her walk into that kitchen I wouldn't have taken those clients. Those were the last ones!" He yells facing her.

I grab his hand "Jessy, me and him are going to go talk through all of this and eat." I say looking in her eyes as she turns around and storms off. He turns and looks in my eyes and I see the frustration on his face. I run my fingers along his cheek as tears fall from my eyes. I feel his fingers on my cheeks wiping them away as he pulls me close.

"Will you ever trust me again?" He whispers.

"I'm trying," I say, nuzzling into his chest.

He grabs my hand and heads to the parking garage. It's a quiet ride while he holds my hand. I'm looking at how my hand fits perfectly in his and it brings calmness to me. Feeling his draw circles on my hand. I close my eyes until I feel him park. He gets out and opens my door "so what's for dinner?" I ask, breaking the silence since we left my apartment.

"I had plans for a trust exercise but I think we will just cook together" he says with a smile.

I grab his hoodie strings and pull myself towards him as I bite my lip. He kisses me gently "more will come later."

"More like earlier when I had to stop us so I could work?" I say as I feel his arms squeeze me tight.

"If things lead that way" he says with that devilish smile.

Looking at his smile like that towards me my body goes week and i kiss him this time. I feel his hand move to my neck as his other hand grabs my hip leaving no space between our bodies this time. My hands go to his chest and a whimper escpaes my mouth. With that Jake walks away. I grab his hand following him to the elevator. "I want it to lead to more of that" I say looking flustered.

He whispers in my ear "I thought you were suppose to love me slowly."

"Yeah last night that thought jumpes off the roof when you kissed me like you did" i say blushing as i lean into his chest.

The door opens and as he hit the button 11 the memories from three years ago hit me and i lean against the wall.

Three years ago I was sitting on this elevator floor balling my eyes out. I remember the door opening a few times for people but noone ever got in to give me space. I remember the constant phone going off but i remember the feeling in my chest. Its fighting the feeling of love towards that same guy right now as i look at him.