Five children removed themselves from the crowd, the doors closed behind them as they left.

The hall filled with whispers and gossip.

Azil straightened himself proudly and honourably. 'Behold, King Ezlin Langforne the third, ruler of the kingdom of Evanduria. Accompanied by his queen, Ava Langforne.'

The hall was silent. The king, tall and broad, raven-haired, dark eyes, slogged through and sat on his large throne. He wore red and black fine clothing with a long furry white cape. The queen, light blonde hair, the eyes of the sky, her skin was pale, too pale. She took her seat beside the king. Tessriel entered through a door behind her mother and father, with a long white and gold dress, clasping her mother's hand. A boy entered after Tessriel, he had dark eyes and light hair. The boy stood tall and proud beside Ezlin with an ugly smirk on his face.

Daarion hardly noticed the king and queen on their thrones.

'Two hundred and eighty-seven, my king,' Azil announced. 'A hundred of these children shall become Valkans.'

The king smirked and bowed his head in honour.

'Let me have the honour to introduce you to wizard Melga,' Azil continued. 'You've all met him. He shall oversee the campus and all educational studies.'

'Thank you, Azil,' Melga stepped forward, leaning on his obsidian staff with a crystal firmly placed on top. 'I am honoured. If any of you fine pupils have any questions or worries, I will set them at ease after the opening ceremony. To the matter at hand, your forging classes shall be constructed by Ûlma.'

The dwarf took a step forward, revealing his teeth through his beard, beaming.

'Training shall be taught under Valkan Detla,' the wizard cleared his throat.

Detla took a step forward, he had no emotions to show, he merely stared, huffing at the sight of some scrawny children at the front.

'Hunting shall be taught by Elandiël, he'll also attend the different classes to share his knowledge of his culture.

The elf stepped forward, stiff and noble he gave a light bow of his head.

'Your schedules shall be handed to you tomorrow morning,' the wizard continued. 'Be sure you follow them strictly and be sure to never miss any classes.'

The children listened intently with no voice breaking through.

'From this moment on you shall be known as students of the Valkan trials. Congratulations.'

Smiles and hugs were all-round.

'Students!' the king stood. 'This is the greatest honour the kingdom has to offer, this journey will be hard, this journey will be resilient. But remember to fight and push on, make us proud!'

The hall echoed with the king's words; trumpets blared. The students took seats at the tables and a great feast was held. The king's laughter could be heard from the highest tower of the castle. At this moment Daarion felt happiness, something he felt rarely in his life in a simple barn. He had new friends, a new home. He feasted like a dwarf from the great dwarven city of Ûndast.

For many hours, the feast could be heard from the city's streets. The folk of the city celebrated their own way by dancing and cheering in the streets with sharply lit lanterns. The folk loved Valkans, for they kept the kingdom safe and peaceful. And the church of the divines preached loud and fast at the edge of the city.

The hall became more silent when midnight came, for the next day would be the first step of training for the students, and they needed rest. Many nobles that joined the festivities were snoring on tables and chairs, including the king, who fell asleep on his throne with a goblet of wine in his hand.