Chapter II - Mx. (Y/N)(L/N)

There was a loud crash sounding from downstairs followed by foul swearing that caused the Invisible Man to immediately wake up and rush out of bed. He sped down the stairs, tripping over feet he could not see, and took a breath of relief to see that everything was safe. 

"What in hell are you screaming for? I thought someone was being murdered!"

"Someone was murdered! Just yesterday! Imagine waking up wrapped in a blanket you've never seen and on a couch you've never sat on in a room where a man was just killed! And now I'm talking to a floating bathrobe!" the voice of the intruder slowly rose to a shriek with each exclamation.

The Unseen's cheeks warmed in shame and he spat back, "Oh, hush up! If you had just left me alone, everything would be fine!"

"Well it's hardly my fault! Hearing all this... this ruckus... Wouldn't you be curious?!"

"Curiosity killed the cat, you know," the Voice murmured icily. 

"And satisfaction brought it back," the person retorted.

The Unseen took a deep breath to avoid snapping and responded coolly, "And are you satisfied...?"

"Well," they paused. "No... but I'm not dead either!"

At this, the Invisible Man chuckled. It seemed the person was as quick witted as he was. Although, this would later be more of a pain than a sort of common ground. He sat down on the couch and took out a cigarette from a box he hid in the couch cushions.

"Ah... Do you have a light, by chance?" he asked the intruder. They pulled out a matchbox and frowned at the wrinkled disarray of their outfit which was just ironed yesterday morning. After the Unseen lit his smoke, he turned to the intruder. "Now, since we will be spending more time together, do not think I would let you go after all you've seen, we ought to try to get along. What is your name?"

"(Y/N) (L/N)," they answered without hesitation.

"(Y/N)..." he whispered inaudibly under his breath. "Right then, Mx. (L/N). I am Dr. Jack Griffin. Please, just call me Dr. Griffin."

"I would say it's a pleasure to meet you, Dr. Griffin, but nothing thus far has been pleasurable."

"Indeed. I will attempt to make it up to you by grabbing your things myself. Stay here and busy yourself for a moment. You seem to have your wits about you; that's good. Do not touch anything that looks important, and do not try to escape. If you do, I will bash your brains out."

(Y/N) gulped and struggled to keep up their standoffish demeanor, "Flattery will get you nowhere."

"Thought not. Well, I'm off. Behave yourself."

And with that, Griffin threw off his robe and left to gather (Y/N)'s things, leaving them dumbfounded in the living room. They collapsed back on the couch and looked at the maroon bathrobe on the ground. 

Is he completely naked? They thought to themself.

It took Griffin a good hour and a half to collect all the things from (Y/N)'s disorderly organized room. In the meantime, (Y/N) busied themself in a terribly boring book about chemistry and what-not. They absorbed very very little. When the book became too dull to stand, they put it down and did some snooping. Remembering Griffin's warning, they didn't touch anything and generally learned nothing new except for the location of the kitchen and the bathroom, taking note of all the possible exits in each room. Just in case.

When Griffin finally returned, (Y/N) was taking a nap. 

"Wake up," he hissed.

(Y/N) opened one eye and rolled over, "Fuck off."

The Invisible Man's eyes widened invisibly, "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

"Who's mouth would I be kissing her with instead?"

Griffin growled and walked off.

"You haven't touched anything. Good. It's nice to know you have at least a little decency."

(Y/N) laughed and sat up, patting the seat beside them on the couch, "Sure. Sit down and tell me about yourself. You're not from here, I can tell by your voice."

The Unseen sat down and leaned back. (Y/N) stared with fascination at the couch moving as the Invisible Man got comfortable. He cleared his throat loudly causing them to look up.

"I'd rather you not stare at my unmentionables."

(Y/N) blushed beat red and stammered, "I-I'm sorry! I didn't know..."

"Of course not. How would you know if you can't see? Anyway. You wanted to know about me? Very well. I'll tell you, but you must be patient. The story is long.

I was a young scientist working under Dr. Cranley alongside my coworker... Kemp. We conducted experiments on food preservation. Bah! What a boring job for a mind as great as mine. I wanted to do something great and go down in history! Nobody would be able to do that while experimenting on food preservation. 

I worked day and night after reading about a rare drug. Monocane. I don't expect you to know what monocane is, Mx. (Y/N), so I'll tell you. It comes from a flower from India, and it turns anything it's applied to dead white. Now, this wouldn't be much of a difference from me, an albino, and yes I am an albino, but it got me thinking. What if with this drug, I was able to make it so I don't have color at all. That is to say, no light is reflected or absorbed by my body. I worked day and night on this, tinkering with the abilities of monocane. Eventually, I found the formula. I packed everything I could and ran off to finish my experiments. 

A little bit injected under the skin for a month. Every day for a month, and a man can be turned invisible. I'm afraid, however, that I got ahead of myself and I was unable to find a reverse. I stayed a while in a small inn in Iping, a village in Britain, expecting some privacy, but of course that was too much to ask for. I seemingly snapped and the whole town went into hysterics! I will admit, the feeling was lovely. Thrilling, even. 

I came across my coworker, Kemp, and trusted him with my secrets. I discussed with him my new plans. My new dreams of a Reign of Terror, which he would benefit from, as well. I killed a policeman that night and, oh don't look at me like that! You know exactly what I can do. The coward called the entire police force on me, and I evaded the authorities for quite some time. All I wanted was to be left alone, but of course that was impossible for nosy brutes and fools! I killed Kemp by driving him off a cliff. I was almost caught a while after being smoked out of a barn, but the bullets just barely missed me and I was able to run off.

I stayed in hiding for 20 years. It was a miserable 20 years, but as soon as these... aeroplanes became popular, I took the first one I could to the Americas. Now, I am finally able to resume my work. Maybe, I will even be able to start again on my Reign of Terror. Maybe... no. Nevermind that." 

The Unseen lit a cigarette and chuckled while a puff of smoke emerged from seemingly thin air, "And now you know my story."

"Indeed... It's certainly a lot to think about."

After a long pause, one that (Y/N) found to be very awkward, their stomach rumbled embarrassingly loud.

"I suppose it's time for a late lunch, no? I'll go see what I can fix up."

And with that, the Invisible Man made a quick, unpleasant lunch which (Y/N) ate solemnly. They couldn't help but think about the strange man sitting next to them. Griffin was insane. Absolutely insane. How would (Y/N) ever get out of this situation?