Chapter 13: Take It Slow

Start from the beginning

"I don't know. But at least you didn't say no," Mitsui stated with a smug grin.

The female glared at him and slapped his chest playfully. "Shut it."

"A date it is, then."

"Let's see. If you don't die while running, I can go for it."

-----

      Shohoku's third game ended with 103 points against 59.

It went by smoothly but in their fourth match, they fought Tsukubu who scored a lot of three-point shots Miyagi's control of the game with his fast breaks led Shohoku to their victory with the score of 111 against 79.

And with those two matches, Sakuragi got fouled and exited the game.

The next match will be with Shoyo and it will decide if they are going to the semifinals.

Mirai is a bit concerned about the redhead since he's always getting fouled out. She wanted to help but somehow she knew that he needs to figure it out himself.

"Senpai," Ayako called. They were hanging out in a family restaurant after club activities with Haruko. They figured they should take a bit of a break before the quarter-finals.

"Hmm?"

"You seemed really cozy with Mitsui-senpai lately," Ayako said with a smirk while Haruko looked at the oldest girl intriguingly.

"Well, we talked and made up, I guess," Mirai simply said as she sipped her drink.

"Mitsui-senpai looks like he really likes you," Haruko told the girl and giggled.

"Of course he does! I've been friends with him for a long time." Ayako and Haruko glanced at each other and sighed.

"That's not what we meant, senpai," Ayako told Mirai.

The girl blinked in confusion until the realization hits her. "Oh, that."

"Yeah, he likes me," Mirai simply said.

Ayako and Haruko were shocked at her statement. "Eh?!"

"Wait, you know?!" Ayako asked.

"Well, he told me," Mirai scoffed as if it was an obvious answer.

"What did you tell him?" Haruko asked.

"That I like him, too." Mirai flinched when the two younger girls suddenly squealed in delight.

"Then, are you guys together?"

"No."

The two girls' shoulders slumped and they frowned. "Why not?!"

Mirai sighed and put down her drink on the table. "Our relationship's a bit complicated. We confessed to each other two years ago but I went overseas and we didn't talk for those years. Now, we're taking things slow. We know that we like each other, it didn't even change."

"You guys... are too mature and patient," Haruko said.

"I can't imagine waiting for someone like that," Ayako commented.

Mirai chuckled. "It's all about communication and I guess our bond's stronger than I thought."

"You're amazing, senpai," Haruko told her.

"Not really," Mirai told them with a smile. "You girls flatter me too much."

------

      "Have you been waiting long?" Mirai asked Mitsui and approached him.

Later that night, the two decided to meet up for dinner. Mitsui wants to treat the girl to something which she excitedly accepted. It's food, Mirai doesn't say no to food.

"No, I just got here," Mitsui told her. The two went inside the ramen store and sat down on the bar counter.

"I was with Ayako and Haruko earlier," Mirai told him. "Then I went back home to change."

"I told you I wasn't waiting that long," Mitsui said and let out a sigh. "I had something to do before coming here."

"Oh, okay," the girl shrugged.

Before meeting him, she told her mother she was eating out with a friend and changed into comfortable clothes. She's now wearing a pair of jeans, her black running shoes, and a plain blue and white varsity jacket with a plain black v-neck shirt underneath.

When she told her mother she was hanging out with someone, she got suspicious and asked her if it was a guy. Mirai quickly denied it, in short, she lied. Luckily for her, Kaede was not around to look at her with pure judgment.

Mitsui and Mirai ordered their food and while waiting, they engaged in a conversation.

"I went to the hospital earlier," Mitsui said causing Mirai to look at him.

"Really? How was it? What did the doctor say?" The male chuckled at her eagerness.

"I'm fully recovered," he said with a smirk.

Mirai grinned and cupped both of his cheeks making the male widen his eyes in surprise.

"That's great!" Mirai exclaimed.

"Yeah, I know. Let go of me, you're squeezing my face," Mitsui told her. The girl didn't let go of him and began squishing his cheeks on purpose.

"I don't want to," she simply said. Mitsui groaned in annoyance and then started to pinch her right cheek.

"Let go of me, Mimi," Mitsui said but hearing the nickname, the girl squished his face again.

"No," she told him. Mitsui let out a tired sigh as he let go of her cheek and tried to pull her hands away from his face.

"If you don't let go, I will kiss you," Mitsui told her and Mirai blinked in surprise.

"Really?" she smirked and didn't let go. Fortunately, or maybe, unfortunately, the food they ordered came and Mirai completely forgot about him as she quickly let go of his face.

"This woman," Mitsui muttered and shook his head in both amusement and disappointment.

"How are you? You're going to play against Shoyo tomorrow," Mirai asked as they both walked inside the park after eating ramen.

"I'm alright, I guess," he said and shrugged.

"Really? Aren't you nervous?" she questioned with a raised brow.

"I don't know..." he sat down on the bench and sighed. "Maybe a little."

Mirai nodded and sat down beside him. The both of them stared at the stars in the sky in comfortable silence.

The girl can only hope that tomorrow goes in their favor once again.

-----

Ohayou - good morning