Chapter 18

HERMIONE P.O.V

This is the first time in a very long time that I've walked down a corridor unaccompanied. For once, there are no cameras or reporters following me and I'm much too busy counting my blessings to question as to why this is. As of late, I've given up trying to run from them and instead walk long suffering as they run alongside me, screaming out questions and snapping photographs.

If only for that reason alone, I am glad that I stayed behind to ask Flitwick something about the NEWTS. They must all have gone with Malfoy to whatever happens to be his destination. And, speaking of my now former arch nemesis, I still haven't gotten used to the idea of being friends with him. So far, it's been OK; we act civilly towards each other, saying a quick 'hi' when we meet etc. He's actually been, well, nice. An adjective I never thought I'd use in the same sentence as him name (unless, of course, it was to say that 'Draco Malfoy is never nice'). I guess we really must have been friends during-

Oh, for God's sake. Just what going on here?

Forming a block in the wide corridor is a huge crowd of flashing photographers, shouting reporters and students around a hundred strong. The guy in front of me is so tall that, even when I stand on my tiptoes, I still can't see past him to what is the cause of all the commotion.

But I do have my suspicions...

I push my way past him and weave my way through the bustling crowd till I'm near the front. And, finally, I see what has everyone all aflutter.

Ginny and M-Draco.

Oh, for crying out loud.

This is just stupid and pathetic; do these people surrounding them not have lives?

But, you know what, this doesn't even surprise me. Draco is constantly in the papers will all his conquests and, not to be cruel, but she should know by now that she's most likely just one of the many girls on his ever lengthening list.

They are answering questions, their arms wrapped around one another and I can't help but wonder as to just what they think they're doing. And since when did she like Draco anyway? I could've sworn she was head-over-heels for my raven-haired best mate... ah, well. Obviously a lot more happened in the past month that I've previously thought...

Ginny turns to Draco, ignoring the new round of inquiries, and whispers something in his ear. Oh, whatever. I have better things to be doing with my time than standing around in this stupid crowd, listening in to their stupid impromptu press conference. I can always just go around them, so far it doesn't appear as if anyone's noticed-

"Hermione!"

At Draco's greeting, all in the vicinity turn to look at me and immediately cameras start their annoying flashing in my direction. Oh, this is just great. Just what I needed.

I turn back to see my betrayer beckoning me over blatantly. Fan-bloody-tastic. I have no choice but to go over and join him and his new girlfriend now. If I refuse, it'll be all over tomorrow's papers, telling all and sundry about how jealous I am of his new relationship. I can just see the headlines now...

GREEN EYED GRYFFINDOR PRINCESS!

HATER HERMIONE!

EX GIRLFRIENDS: HOW THEY CAN RUIN A NEW RELATIONSHIP...

Sighing heavily, I drag my feet all the way over to Hogwarts' new favourite couple who are smiling happily at the flashing cameras. I stand beside Ginny, who is now in between Malfoy and I. I am now under the intense scrutiny of the entire crowd who are watching me zealously for any sign of unhappiness or discomfort, so I make sure to smile brightly and wrap an arm around Ginny's shoulders, careful not to make contact with Malfoy's arm which is around her waist.