Chapter 1: New Girl

Start from the beginning

Mirai watched the students coming out of the school while looking for her brother. A minute passed when she saw him pushing his bike.

She let her know her presence when Kaede passed by in her direction, a few meters away from the school's entrance.

"Kae!" Mirai called causing the said male to halt.

"Nee-san?" He squinted his eyes trying to recognize her. She's wearing a black baseball cap, a plain long sleeve white shirt, black sweatpants, and sandals. "What are you doing here?"

"I was just walking in the streets and passed by here. I'm hoping we can go home together," Mirai said with a smile.

"Okay," Kaede simply nodded and got on his bike. He gestured for his sister to climb on the back which she quickly did.

Some students that they passed by looked at them and probably wondered who is the girl with the famous Rukawa Kaede.

"Did you join the basketball team?" Mirai asked her brother while they are riding the bike back home.

"Yeah, the tryouts will start in a few days," Rukawa replied.

Mirai nodded and squinted her eyes as the air clashed with her face.

"I'm going to school starting tomorrow," Mirai said.

Kaede glanced behind him for a quick second.

"Yeah, I know," he said.

"Well, I hope it goes well," Mirai mumbled thinking that her brother didn't hear it.

But he did.

------

    Mirai woke up earlier to have a quick run before going to school. It became a habit and a must ever since she started to become an athlete.

After running for almost an hour, she decided to go back home to wash up and prepare to go to her new school.

When she got home, Kaede also jogged but they didn't meet each other outside. The siblings greet each other a good morning before going back to their respective bedrooms.

Mirai stared at herself in the mirror wearing her uniform. She tilted her head as she checked herself in the mirror.

"Okay, let's get this over with," she said. She picked up her bag and went out of her room.

"We'll be going now, Mom," Mirai told her mother as the siblings walked out of their house.

Kaede got on his bike while Mirai, hopped behind the bike as Kaede started pedaling.

When the two reached school, almost all of the students are looking at them. Mirai hopped off the bike as well as her brother. 

"I'll see you later, then," Mirai told him.

"Do you want me to go with you and find your homeroom?" Kaede asked her sister.

The girl smiled and shook her head. "I'll be fine, Kae. I'm actually going to the faculty room first. Go to your class."

Her brother nodded and the two went on their own way. Mirai walked towards the teacher's faculty and asked for her homeroom teacher.

"Ah, you must be Rukawa-san, right?" a woman in her 40's asked. 

Mirai nodded and gave a polite smile. "Yes, I'm Rukawa Mirai."

"Alright, the class is about to start. Let's go," the teacher said and the younger girl followed her. 

Mirai looked up to see the sign 3-6 and immediately thought that it is her classroom. The teacher slid open the door and ushered the students who are talking to go to their respective seats. They quickly halted their conversations when the teacher entered the classroom. Mirai stood in the doorway, waiting for the teacher's signal.

"Alright, we have a new student and she'll be joining us for this school year. Please, welcome her warmly," the teacher said and gestured for Mirai to enter. 

The students murmured and Mirai can hear some of them talking about how pretty and model-like she is. 

"Hello. I'm Rukawa Mirai, nice to meet you all," she introduced herself and bowed. 

"If you have any questions for her, please ask now," the teacher said causing Mirai to look at her in shock.

"Where are you from?!" a female student asked. 

"I'm originally from here, but I was in Australia for two years and just came back here," she answered.

"How old are you?"

"I'm turning 18."

"Do you have a boyfriend?!" a male student suddenly asked and they all cheered for some reason. 

Mirai gritted her teeth in annoyance while keeping her polite smile. "No, I don't."

The male students cheered loudly and the teacher finally stopped them. Mirai was assigned to sit behind a student named Kogure. The said male just smiled politely and nodded to her when she passed him. 

Mirai nodded back and sat down on a seat behind him. The class started smoothly for the girl and Mirai felt relieved.