coffee conversations [ ❥ ]

Metal clanks dully against ceramic as you stir your coffee, leaning against the counter and letting the hot exterior of the mug warm up your hands.

After spending the day outside in the cool mountainside as part of a security detail, this is exactly what you're in need of - and you're thankful that the rest of the team have chosen to take their lunches outside, so you can take a minute to chill out on your own time.

Behind you, the kitchen door squeaks open signalling someone's arrival and you cast a look over your shoulder to see Alexis walking in. You shoot her a smile that she quickly returns, and as she strides across the room headed in your direction you push another mug across the counter towards her.

She accepts it gratefully and all but downs it in one go when she raises it to her lips. There's that burnt quality that comes with day-old breakroom coffee that makes her wrinkle her nose a little, but she sets it down with just as big a smile as she had when she entered the room.

"You make the best coffee." She says as she contentedly puts the mug back down on the counter.
You grin. "That why you keep finding ways to spend lunch with me?"

"Maybe." She shrugs, almost bashfully, but her eyes still flit up to meet yours as she leans back on the counter with a smile. "You're not that bad as far as company goes, either."