Chapter 19__Because

Start from the beginning

"Fine," Elena told us.

"So, what do we do once you earn her trust?" Stefan asked.

"We drain her of her blood, make her weak, and then bombard her with everything she used to care about," I answered. "Memories of who she was, her friendships, her mom." I barely glanced at Stefan. "You."

Stefan and Damon realized that I couldn't look at them directly still, even without the hex.

Stefan looked at Elena. "Did you bring it?"

"Yes," Elena answered, pulling out an envelope from her bag, handing it over to Stefan.

"What is that?" Damon asked.

"Caroline got rid of everything from her former life," Elena told us. "Her mom had sent this letter, intending for it to arrive after she died, which it did, but Caroline had already flipped her switch."

"It could work," Stefan told us.

"Sure," Damon agreed. He looked at me. "Tell me something. You got your humanity back. Why are you signing up to be locked up with a humanity-less vampire?"

"Because, believe it or not, Damon, some people want to make up for all of the horrible things that they've done," I answered. "I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this for Caroline, and for me."

"Or you're just doing everything you can to avoid Tyler," Damon told me.

"Damon," I told him. "Shut up."

Damon looked down in slight guilt. "Okay. Sore subject. Understood. So when is this brilliant plan going down?"

I turned to leave. "As soon as possible."

~~~~~~

Now

Caroline and I walked down an abandoned street, looking down the way toward two guys in hoodies, facing away from us.

I looked at Caroline, smirking. "Dinner."

Caroline smirked, rushing toward the guys.

Stefan and Damon turned to face us, pulling back the hoods.

Damon smiled patronizingly. "Special delivery."

Damon held a vervain dart gun, shooting Caroline several times in the torso.

Caroline gasped in surprise, falling unconscious to the ground.

I walked toward Stefan and Damon, looking down at Caroline's unconscious body numbly.

Stefan had his own vervain dart gun in hand, looking at me. "Sure you want to do this?"

I sighed, finally looking directly at them. "Let's just get it over with."

Stefan nodded in guilt, shooting me with the vervain dart gun, making me gasp in pain, falling unconscious.

~~~~~~

Three days.

That was how long Caroline and I had been locked up in a hotel room with two beds.

The sun shone into the room through an open window with bars attached to the inside.

Caroline woke on a bed, only to realize that her wrists had been slit while she was unconscious, causing her to bleed out all over the bed. She looked at me on the other bed, finding that my wrists had been slit, blood around me on the bed, but we were both healed by now. She sighed weakly. "Nicola?"