Chapter 2

Chapter 2

            “Good moooorning America! Do you know time it is? It’s time for some easy music to start your Saturday anew! Please welcome the classic of all classics, Dream On by Aerosmith!” Johnny on the radio station said. I had set my alarm last night to nine in the morning in order to make it to the band practice that we had today.

            It’s been three weeks since I’ve been in New York City, and so far, I haven’t regretted a bit of it. I was finally able to get my own apartment in a cheap neighborhood, but it was worth it for five hundred a month. Plus, with our gigs that the band and I have been having and my small part time job as a waiter in a small diner, I’ve been able to save more money than I would have back home.

            Sitting up in bed, a strong hangover hit me. We had our first drinking party last night from our tenth accomplished gig, which was the only thing I regret doing. It was my third time drinking here in New York and most likely not my last. Lighting up a Camel, I huffed in the biggest hit I could of the smoke, and then blew it out up at the ceiling. It was a way that helped me wake up and usually to help ease tension before our concert starts. We didn’t have any calls to do another concert anywhere, so practicing was all we could do to pass some time. Since I don’t work on the weekends, it’s the perfect time for us to practice for two or three hours.

            After I had finished with my cigarette, I hopped into the hot shower where I washed my hair. The whole time, I thought about her. These whole three weeks I couldn’t get Summer out of my mind. It was almost as if I was trying to psychologically get a small clue of who she was, why she came here, and why she changed so dramatically at the airport. She didn’t seem that happy like I thought she would have been to be in a new state and a large city. Something ticked her off, but finding out what caused a lot of stress for me to be carrying around lately. One of the guys in the band even noticed too, but I couldn’t tell him it was because I was thinking of a woman; that would get their hopes up.

            Wrapping the towel around my waist, I stared at the fogged mirror, wondering about the same reflection that I stare at each time I’m in this room. I wonder about the past of my wandering soul, the feelings, the strengths and weaknesses, and yet I still can’t figure myself out. My mother once told me that a person will never find themselves out, that their true love will do the searching for them, even without trying. I never believed that old legend, or any of her legends; especially true love. From what I have seen among my family and friends when it came to love, is that true love doesn’t exist; at least not in this century.

            Startling my from my thoughts, a light knock came to my front door a few times. I hurried towards the door for no apparent reason, and opened it up while holding onto my towel, hoping it would not fall off. A familiar face was frightened by my sudden appearance as she laughed at herself for the jump she had done. Of course, it wasn’t who I had hoped it was, but she was familiar, I just couldn’t think of her name.

            “I’m sorry; I must have caught you at the wrong time. My apologies.” She smiled, looked down at my towel and water dripping down my legs and off my hair. I sighed in disappointment as I stared down at her. It was clear that she had dyed black streaks into her auburn hair, but her green eyes were what caught me off guard. They stared up at me with courage; she wasn’t afraid of anything. I could tell she would take any dare given to her with no hesitation.

            “No, it’s alright; I just got out of the shower” I had to make myself say. She then smiled wider as she pulled out a small piece of paper from the pile she had in her hands and held it out to me.