Chapter 5: Meeting Maisie

Start from the beginning

Furrowing his brows in determination, Jacob started to stand up and walk over to her, but before he could, the window next to him flew open, and a girl was leaning in the bar.

"Hello!" She greeted cheerily.

Jacob froze and looked at her with shock and confusion. "Hello." He responded.

"Me name's Maisie. Maisie Brumble." She introduced, and extended her hand out.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you." Jacob said, shaking her hand.

He moved to leave, but Maisie spoke once more. "And you're Jacob Holland, who once killed four of them beasts in a span of two days. Is it true you done that? Four in two days?" She asked.

"Don't believe everything you hear lass. Four in two days?" Jacob scoffed, before leaning closer to her. "It was five." He whispered, giving her a wink, and walking off.

"I heard..." Maisie started, but frowned when he walked away.

She climbed in through the window and crawled along the table, knocking cups and plates over.

Jacob squeezed his way through the crowd, towards (Y/n), watching her smile and laugh. A small smile made its way onto Jacob's face at her happy expression, but that smile fell when he heard a familiar voice behind him.

"I heard there was a time them beasts used to come right up to shore..."

Jacob turned to see the little girl following after him.

"...pluck a lady right out of her veggie patch, and swallow her up!"

Jacob made his way out of the crowd, and was only a few feet away from (Y/n). He paused for a moment, to brush any dirt off his clothes and run a hand through his hair.

But just as he was about to take a step forward, Maisie stepped in front of him.

"But not no more. And it's cause of the hunters. There's not a nobler profession, I says." Maisie declared.

Jacob crossed his arms and looked down at her.

"I come from a long line of hunters me self." She told him

Jacob raised a brow in amusement. "Is that so?"

"Aye. Me parents were lancers. They served on the Monarch." Maisie explained.

Jacob's face fell a little. "The Monarch? So, they're..."

"Aye." Maisie nodded. "That's just the way for a hunter ain't it? You live a great life, and die a great death."

Jacob looked at her for a moment, then glanced back up at (Y/n). He decided that he had all night to talk to her, and wanted to make sure this kid was okay first.

"Come on." He motioned his head for her to follow and lead her to the bar.

"So, who's looking after you then?" Jacob asked, as he sat on a stool and ordered a drink.

Maisie hopped up next to him. "I'm staying at a children's home in Guelston, up the way. Except I ain't staying, exactly. I'm on the run you see." She said, acting like it was a huge secret.